Education, SES, and Intelligence
Three studies analyzed the effect of education and social variables on intelligence (represented by one cognitive measure and at the g level) using samples from the SLATINT Project. The results indicated that intelligence, as measured by one measure (e.g., the SPM or IR test), was slightly influenced by education or the SES of schools. However, when intelligence was represented at the latent level (or g factor), the influence of social variables decreased. On the other hand, school performance was primarily influenced by cognitive differences, and secondly by the SES of schools.
KeywordsSchool performance Intelligence SES PISA
- Breslow, N. E., & Clayton D. G. (1993). Approximate inference in generalized linear mixed models. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 88, 9–25.Google Scholar
- Coleman, J. S., Campbell, E. Q., Hobson, C. J., McPartland, J., Mood, A. M., Weinfeld, F. D., & York, R. L. (1966). Equality of educational opportunity. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office.Google Scholar
- Flores-Mendoza, C., Mansur-Alves, M., Ardila, R., Rosas, R. D., Guerrero-Leiva, M. K., Maqueo, M. E. L.-G., Gallegos, M., …León, A. B. (2015). Fluid intelligence and school performance and its relationship with social variables in Latin American samples. Intelligence, 49, 66–83. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intell.2014.12.005.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gamoran, A., & Long, D. A. (2006). Equality of educational opportunity: A 40-year retrospective (WCER Working Paper No. 2006-9). Madison: University of Wisconsin–Madison, Wisconsin Center for Education Research. Retrieved [December 09, 2017] from https://wcer.wisc.edu/publications/year/2006http://www.wcer.wisc.edu/publications/workingPapers/papers.phpGoogle Scholar
- Hu, F. B., Goldberg, J., Hedeker, D., Flay, B. F., & Pentz, M. A. (1998). Comparison of population-averaged and subject-specific approaches for analyzing repeated binary outcomes. American Journal of Epidemiology, 147, 694–703. Retrieved from http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/147/7/694.short.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Marshall, A., Keynes, J. M., & Guillebaud, C. W. (1978). Obras escogidas. DF Mexico: Fondo de Cultura Economica.Google Scholar
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development—OECD (2007). PISA 2006: Science competencies for tomorrow’s world: Vol. 1 Analysis. Retrieved from http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/education/pisa-2006_9789264040014-en.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development—OECD (2010). PISA 2009 results: What students know and can do — Student performance in reading, mathematics and science (Vol. I). https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264091450-en.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development—OECD (2013). PISA 2012 Results in focus: What 15-years-old know and what they can do with what they know. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/pisa/keyfindings/pisa-2012-results-overview.pdf.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development—OECD. (2014). PISA 2012 results: What students know and can do. Retrieved from http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/education/pisa-2012-results-what-students-know-and-can-do-volume-i-revised-editionfebruary-2014_9789264208780-en.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development—OECD. (2005). PISA 2003 Technical Report. Retrieved from http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/education/pisa-2003-technical-report_9789264010543-en.
- Sisto, F. F. (2006). Teste de raciocínio inferencial. São Paulo: Vetor Editora Psicopedagógica.Google Scholar
- Soares, J. F., & Andrade, R. J. (2006). Nível socioeconômico, qualidade e eqüidade das escolas de Belo Horizonte [Socioeconomic status, quality and equity in the schools of Belo Horizonte]. Ensaio: Avaliação de Política Pública de Educação, 14, 107–126. Retrieved from http://www.scielo.br/pdf/ensaio/v14n50/30410.pdf.Google Scholar
- Thompson, T. W., Waskom, M. L., Garel, K.-L. A., Cardenas-Iniguez, C., Reynolds, G. O., Winter, R. … Gabrieli, J. D. (2013). Failure of working memory training to enhance cognition or intelligence. PLoS ONE, 8, e63614. doi: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0063614.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization. (2005). Literacy for life. efa global monitoring report. France: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- World Economic Forum. (2016). The future of jobs. Employment, skills and workforce strategy for the fourth. Retrieved 9 December 2017, from https://www.weforum.org/reports/the-future-of-jobs.