PIIGS to the Slaughter II
Continuing Chap. 4’s examination of the fallout from the Eurozone crisis, this chapter turns to sf films from the two remaining so-called PIIGS: Greece and Spain. Starting with an analysis of Yorgos Lanthimos’ The Lobster (2015), a film, it will be argued, that is both an industrial endorsement of European integration and an onscreen evisceration of the EU’s austerity policies, the focus then shifts to Spain. There, particular emphasis will be placed upon Àlex and David Pastor’s The Last Days (2013), which substitutes a deadly virus called ‘the Panic’ for the Eurozone fear of contagion, ultimately imagining a supposedly utopian post-capitalist Barcelona that is nevertheless, it will be argued, fatally undermined by an inability to see past an obsession with male privilege and suffering.
- Brody, Richard. 2016. The Petty Laments of Yorgos Lanthimos’s The Lobster. The New Yorker, May 23.Google Scholar
- Burgen, Stephen. 2015. TSB Takeover: The Spanish Buyer Banco Sabadell. The Guardian, March 12.Google Scholar
- Byrne, Paul. 2015. Interview with Director Yorgos Lanthimos. Movies.ie, October 15. www.movies.ie/interview-with-yorgos-lanthimos-for-the-lobster/. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Canavan, Gerry. 2014. “If the Engine Ever Stops, We’d All Die”: Snowpiercer and Necrofuturism. Paradoxa 26: 41–66.Google Scholar
- Co-production Funding in 2013. Eurimages, December 20, 2013. www.coe.int/en/web/eurimages/co-production-funding-in-2013. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Cubitt, Sean. 2017. Finite Media: Environmental Implications of Digital Technologies. Durham: Duke University Press.Google Scholar
- Gómez, Manuel V. 2018. Women in Spain Earn 13% Less than Men for Similar Work, New Study Shows. El País, March 9.Google Scholar
- Jenkins, David. Yorgos Lanthimos on Dogtooth. Time Out London. www.timeout.com/london/film/giorgos-lanthimos-on-dogtooth-1. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Karamouz, Eirini. 2014. Does the Greek Crisis Prove the Country’s Entry into the EEC in 1981 Was a Mistake? EUROPP: European Politics and Policy. November 26. blogs.lse.ac.uk/greeceatlse/2014/11/26/does-the-greek-crisis-prove-the-countrys-entry-into-the-eec-in-1981-was-a-mistake/. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Knight, Laurence. 2012. Spanish Economy: What Is to Blame for Its Problems? BBC, May 18. www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17753891. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Kottasova, Ivana. 2017. These 8 Men Are Richer than 3.6 Billion People Combined. CNN, January 17. money.cnn.com/2017/01/15/news/economy/oxfam-income-inequality-men/index.html.
- Koutsourakis, Angelos. 2012. Cinema of the Body: The Politics of Performativity in Lars von Trier’s Dogville and Yorgos Lanthimos’ Dogtooth. Cinema: Journal of the Moving Image 3: 84–108.Google Scholar
- Lowen, Mark. 2015. Greek Debt Crisis: What Was the Point of the Referendum? BBC, July 11. www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33492387. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- O’Brien, Matt. 2015. The Miraculous Story of Iceland. The Washington Post, June 17.Google Scholar
- Peuyo, Víctor. 2017. After the End of History: Horror Cinema in Neoliberal Spain. In Tracing the Borders of Spanish Horror Cinema and Television, ed. Jorge Marí, 141–160. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Pop, Valentina. 2011. Merkel Wants “Permanent” Supervision of Greece, Warns of War. EU Observer, October 26. euobserver.com/economic/114075. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Richard, Maxwell, and Toby Miller. 2012. Greening the Media. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Romei, Valentina. 2017. Catalonia’s Economic Strength Fuels Independence Push. Financial Times, September 28.Google Scholar
- Rose, Steve. 2011. Attenberg, Dogtooth and the Weird Wave of Greek Cinema. The Guardian, August 27.Google Scholar
- Scharff, Christina. 2014. Gender and Neoliberalism: Exploring the Exclusions and Contours of Neoliberal Subjectivities. Theory, Culture & Society, April 1. www.theoryculturesociety.org/christina-scharff-on-gender-and-neoliberalism/. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Seasonally Adjusted Standardised Unemployment Rates. Central Statistics Office. www.cso.ie/en/statistics/labourmarket/principalstatistics/seasonallyadjustedstandardisedunemploymentratessur/. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Sharpe, Kenan Behzat. 2016. The Lobster: Debt, Referenda, and False Choices. Blind Field, July 1. blindfieldjournal.com/2016/07/01/the-lobster-debt-referenda-and-false-choices/. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Spain’s Unemployment Total Passes Five Million. BBC, January 27, 2012. www.bbc.com/news/world-16754600. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Torrano. 2017. Political Wishful Thinking versus the Shape of Things to Come: Manuel de Pedrolo’s “Mecanoscrit” and “Los últimos días” by Àlex and David Pastor. Alambique 4 (2): 1–17.Google Scholar
- V.B. 2011. Dark, Haunting and Wonderfully Weird. The Economist, December 6.Google Scholar
- What a Happy Set!. Daily Mail, May 6, 2014.Google Scholar
- Women Earned on Average 16% Less than Men in 2013 in the EU. Eurostat, March 8, 2015. ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/6729998/3-05032015-AP-EN.pdf/f064bb11-e239-4a8c-a40b-72cf34f1ac6f. Accessed 1 May 2018.