Surgical Difficulties and Complications of Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic for Thoracic Sympathectomy
This chapter discusses the most common technical difficulties during the surgical procedure of sympathectomy, as well as the most frequent surgical complications, based on the literature and experience of the group with more than 2000 operated cases. The most frequent and most compromising technical difficulty is the presence of pleural adhesions. The most frequent immediate complication is the air fistula, and the most frequent late complication is compensatory sweating.
KeywordsSympathectomy Technical difficulties Complications Compensatory sweating Compensatory hyperhidrosis
- Asking B, Svartholm E. Degeneration activity; a transient effect following sympathectomy for hyperhidrosis. Eur J Surg Suppl. 1994;572:41–2.Google Scholar
- Cameron AEP. Complications of endoscopic sympathectomy. Eur J Surg Suppl. 1998;580:33–5.Google Scholar
- Drott C, Claes G, Gothberg G, Paszowski P. Cardiac effects of endoscopic electrocautery of the upper thoracic sympathetic chain. Eur J Surg Suppl. 1994;572:65–70.Google Scholar
- Herbst F, Fugger R, Fritsch A, et al. Endoscopic thoracic sympatectomy for primary hyperhidrosis of the upper limbs. A critical analysis and long-term results of 480 operations. Ann Surg. 2002;89:158–62.Google Scholar
- Kopleman D, Bahous H, Assalia A, Hashmonai M. Upper dorsal sympathectomy for palmar hyperhidrosis. Use of the harmonic scalpel versus diathermy. Ann Chir Gynaecol. 2001;90:203–5.Google Scholar
- Lin CC. http:// www.sweathand.com.
- Lin CC, Telaranta T. Lin-Telaranta classification: the importance of different produce of for different indications in sympathectomy surgery. Ann Chir Gynaecol. 2001;90(3):161–6.Google Scholar
- Lin C-C, Mo L-R, Hwang M-H. Intraoperative cardiac arrest: a rare complication of T2,3-sympathicotomy for treatment of hyperhidrosis palmaris. Two case reports. Eur J Surg Suppl. 1994;572:43–5.Google Scholar
- Lin CC, Lee LS, et al. The haemodynamic effect of thoracoscopic cardiac sympathectomy. Eur J Surg Suppl. 1998a;580:37–8.Google Scholar
- Lin CC, et al. Thoracoscopic T2-sympathetic block by clipping – a better and reversible operation for treatment of hyperhidrosis palmaris: experience with 326 cases. Eur J Surg Suppl. 1998b;580:13–6.Google Scholar
- Reisfeld R. http://www.sweaty-palms.com/reversal_ets.html.
- Telaranta T. Secondary sympathetic chain reconstruction after endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy. Eur J Surg. 1998;164(Suppl 580):17–8.Google Scholar
- Telaranta T. http://www.privatix.fi.