The Fundamentals of Entertainment
In this chapter, we define entertainment and lay out the data that demonstrate why entertainment matters. Not only does entertainment generate huge revenues, but it also has a pioneering influence on culture, in many ways. Entertainment shapes how our views of the world around us, impacts our language, can provide meaning to our human existence, and can motivate us to do better.
- AFI (2005). AFI’S 100 Years…100 Movie Quotes. American Film Institute, June 21, https://goo.gl/ogd2hW.
- Berger, E. (2016). NASA just smashed its record for astronaut applications—18,000+ . ARS Technica, February 19, https://goo.gl/C7kJJD.
- Caves, R. E. (2000). Creative industries: Contracts between art and commerce. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Curry, T. (2004). Phrases that defined a career. NBC News, June 5, https://goo.gl/TzFNWT.
- Fleming, Jr., M. (2016). No. 1 ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’—2015 most valuable movie blockbuster tournament. Deadline, March 28, https://goo.gl/Rtj96X.
- Freedland, J. (2015). The spooks will keep spying on us Brits: We clearly don’t care. The Guardian, November 6, https://goo.gl/nY471m.
- Guerrera, F. (2010). How ‘Wall Street’ changed Wall Street. Financial Times, September 24, https://goo.gl/ptq8fG.
- Kolker, R. P. (1999). Film, form, and culture (4th ed.). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Marshall, E. (2016). The secret life of Walter Mitty. Quora, March 31, https://goo.gl/8iaRxy.
- Metz, N. (2012). Duplasses found a career via Coens. Chicago Tribune, July 6, https://goo.gl/9bV1Sm.
- Pautz, M. C. (2015). Argo and Zero Dark Thirty: Film, government, and audiences. Political Science and Politics, 48, 120–128.Google Scholar
- Rigby, R. (2015). How Hollywood films inspire careers. Financial Times, February 18, https://goo.gl/MTRR6n.
- Tiefenthäler, A., & Scott, A. O. (2017). Why do we love J.F.K. conspiracy theories? Blame the movies. The New York Times, October 26, https://goo.gl/q5KyH2.
- Van Laer, T., Escalas, J. E., Ludwig, S., & van den Hende, E. A. (2017). What happens in vegas stays on tripadvisor? Computerized text analysis of narrativity in online consumer reviews. Working Paper, Vanderbilt Owen Graduate School of Management.Google Scholar
- Viagas, R. (2015). Stephen Colbert hosts 2015 Kennedy Center Honors tonight. Playbill, December 6, https://goo.gl/PRkGGN.
- Vogel, H. L. (2015). Entertainment industry economics: A guide for financial analysis (9th ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Winkler, J. (2013). Everything I know I learned from watching ‘The Simpsons’. Medium, October 24, https://goo.gl/W8Xi8Y.
- Wise, Z. (2009). A conversation with Oliver Stone. The New York Times, September 8, https://goo.gl/3tRzZa.
- Zlomek, E. (2013). HBS Professor brings Jay-Z, Lady Gaga to the classroom. Business Week, April 25, https://goo.gl/ZAoBP2.