Museum Necropoleis of St. Petersburg. A Brief History
The history of the Museum Necropoleis of St. Petersburg is presented from the time when they were created to this day. Their uniqueness as the first open-air museum in Russia is shown. Various periods in the life of the museum are described, alongside with the history of the monuments of exceptional historical and artistic value. The background is provided on architects and sculptors who took part in the erection of artistic gravestones from various materials. Information is given on the current state of the collection, restoration of monuments, the history of their study. The modern period in the history of the Necropoleis, lines of research and practical activities of the Museum of urban sculpture aimed at preservation of the unique collection of artistic gravestones, is described.
KeywordsMuseum necropoleis Museum of Urban Sculpture St. Lazarus cemetery Necropolis of the 18th Century Tikhvin cemetery Necropolis of Masters of Arts Artistic gravestones History Restoration techniques
- Abakumova NB (1975) Study of properties and safety of ornamental and facing stones in museums and parks in Leningrad (on the example of the Museum of Urban Sculpture) Otchet po NIR. Arhiv Gosudarstvennogo muzeya gorodskoi skul’ptury [Report on research. Archive of the State Museum of Urban Sculpture]. Leningrad (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Krestovskii IV (1949) Monumental’no-dekorativnaya skul’ptura.Tehnika, tehnologiya, restavraciya [Monumental and decorative sculpture. Technique, technology, restoration]. Iskusstvo, Leningrad-Moscow (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Kurbatov V (1913) Peterburg. Hudozhestvenno-istoricheskii ocherk i obzor hudozhestvennogo bogatstva stolicy [Petersburg. An artistic and historical essay and a review of the artistic wealth of the capital]. Izdanie obshiny Sv. Evgenii, Saint-Petersburg (in Russian)Google Scholar
- RGIA (1905) O snyatii fotografii i slepkov s hudozhestvennyh pamyatnikov nad mogilami istoricheskih lic i o restavracii sih pamyatnikov [On the removal of photographs and casts from art monuments over the graves of historical figures and on the restoration of these monuments]. F. 789. Op. 13 D. 190. L. 28–53 (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Wrangle NN (1907) Forgotten Graves. Starye gody [Old years] Fevral’: 35–51 (in Russian)Google Scholar