The Old Testament as a Source Book for the Pentecostal Gospel of Prosperity
This chapter discusses how and why the Old Testament is of appeal to prosperity preachers. It opens by first considering the New Testament basis of the gospel of the Cross. It is only when we establish the New Testament position on prosperity that it can be discerned why the prosperity preachers prefer the Old Testament. This section is then followed by a discussion of the prosperity preachers’ use of the Old Testament. The chapter identifies favourite Pentecostal texts explaining how they are used to support the Pentecostal gospel of prosperity. The chapter depends on data collected from Pentecostal sermons from some Zimbabwean Pentecostal preachers.
- Anderson, H., L.E. Toombs, R.C. Dentan, and H.H. Guthrie Jr. 1983. Wisdom literature and poetry. Nashville: Abingdon Press.Google Scholar
- Braun, H. 1979. Jesus of Nazareth: The man and his times. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.Google Scholar
- Bullock, K. Baptists and the prosperity Gospel: Have we turned the Gospel into magic? 2009. Used by permission of the Baptist History and Heritage Society, Atlanta, Georgia, www.baptisthistory.org, accessed 30 Nov 2011.
- Chitando, E. 2012. “If My People…” A critical analysis of the deployment of 2 chronicles 7:14 during the Zimbabwean crisis. In The Bible and politics in Africa, ed. M.R. Gunda and J. Kuegler, 272–289. Bamberg: University of Bamberg Press.Google Scholar
- Earle Ellis, E. 1974. The Gospel of Luke. London: Marshall, Morgan and Scott.Google Scholar
- ———. 2002. Christianity and politics in Doe’s Liberia. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Makandiwa, E. “Possessing the Promises” Sermon based on Hebrews 11:32–34 and Romans 4:19, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WugrxTMZXWA, accessed 05 Dec 2011a.
- ———. “The Mark of a Blessing,” Sermon based on Luke 13:6–9 and Isaiah 5:3, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Y7P8NAPEw&feature=related, accessed 05 Dec 2011b.
- Matura, T. 1984. Gospel radicalism: The hard sayings of Jesus. Maryknoll: Orbis Books.Google Scholar
- Mawarire, J. “Ngwenya needs schooling, spiritual deliverance,” NewsDay, 01/04/2011., http://www.newsday.co.zw/article/2011-04-01-ngwenya-needs-schooling-spiritual-deliverance, accessed 02 Dec 2011.
- Maxwell, D. 1998. Delivered from the spirit of poverty?: Pentecostalism, prosperity and modernity in Zimbabwe. Journal of Religion in Africa 28 (3): 350–373.Google Scholar
- Ngwenya, R. “Religious entrepreneurship”, NewsDay 29/03/2011., http://www.newsday.co.zw/article/2011-03-29-religious-entrepreneurship accessed 02 Dec 2011.
- Sitima, E. 2008. Sermon. Gaborone: Bible Life Chapel.Google Scholar
- ———. 2010. Churches for the rich: Pentecostalism and Elitism in Harare. In Faith in the city: The role and place of religion in Harare, ed. L. Togarasei and E. Chitando, 19–40. Uppsala: Swedish Science Press.Google Scholar
- Wutawunashe, A. Home group lesson 2, 2003.Google Scholar