A Case of Sarcoidosis, Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma, and Graves’ Disease in the Thyroid Gland
Sarcoidosis is an idiopathic chronic, systemic, and noncaseating granulomatous disease involving multiple systems. There have been reports indicating that there might be an association between autoimmune thyroid diseases and sarcoidosis. Pulmonary sarcoidosis has also been known to coexist with malignancies including differentiated thyroid cancer. It is not clear whether patients with sarcoidosis tend to develop malignancies or malignancies induce sarcoidosis. Overlapping of clinical and radiological findings between malignancies and sarcoidosis causes a difficulty in the management. We present a case of a 49-year-old female patient who had sarcoidosis, autoimmune thyroid disease, and differentiated thyroid cancer.
We would like to thank Professor Dr. Kerim Sönmezoğlu for kindly providing Fig. 9.1 from the archive of Cerrahpasa School of Medicine, Department of Nuclear Medicine, İstanbul, Turkey.
- 1.Amin MB, Edge SB, Greene FL, Compton CC, Gershenwald JE, Brookland RK, et al., editors. AJCC cancer staging manual. 8th ed. New York: Springer; 2017.Google Scholar
- 2.Haugen BR, Alexander EK, Bible KC, Doherty GM, Mandel SJ, Nikiforov YE, et al. 2015 American Thyroid Association management guidelines for adult patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer: the American Thyroid Association guidelines task force on thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid. 2016;26:1–133. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2015.0020.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 4.Baughman RP, Lower EE. Sarcoidosis. In: Longo DL, editor. Harrison’s principles of internal medicine. 18th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2012. p. 2805–13.Google Scholar
- 12.Lapa C, Kircher M, Hänscheid H, Schirbel A, Grigoleit GU, Klinker E, et al. Peptide receptor radionuclide therapy as a new tool in treatment-refractory sarcoidosis - initial experience in two patients. Theranostics. 2018;8:644–9. https://doi.org/10.7150/thno.22161. eCollection 2018.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 17.Fallahi P, Ferrari SM, Ruffilli I, Elia G, Biricotti M, Vita R, et al. The association of other autoimmune diseases in patients with autoimmune thyroiditis: review of the literature and report of a large series of patients. Autoimmun Rev. 2016;15:1125–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autrev.2016.09.009.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Krawczyk BP, Gryglicka B, Kieszko R, Korobowicz E, Sojczuk S. Malignant neoplasms and pulmonary sarcoidosis—a case report. New Med. 2004;7:94–6.Google Scholar