Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma
Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma (ATC) is a relatively uncommon highly malignant tumor originating from the follicular cells of the thyroid gland having a poor prognosis. It accounts for 2–5% of all thyroid carcinomas, and patients typically present with a rapidly growing anterior neck mass with aggressive symptoms. A 66-year-old male presented with dyspnea, neck pain, and voice changes. Ultrasonographic neck examination demonstrated an enlarged thyroid gland and substernal extension of the right thyroid lobe. Fine needle aspiration (FNA) from the thyroid nodule biopsy showed benign cytology. Because of symptomatic disease and radiologic malignancy doubt, operation has been done. Histopathologic examination with frozen section demonstrated anaplastic thyroid carcinoma. After total thyroidectomy, the patient is discharged. The patient died 20 days after the start of systemic treatment because of septic multiorgan failure derived from bronchopneumonic lung infection. In the evaluation of sudden growing neck masses in elderly patients, anaplastic thyroid cancer should be considered as a differential diagnosis, even if the needle biopsy is normal.
KeywordsAnaplastic Biopsy Carcinoma Thyroid
- 2.Hundahl SA, Cady B, Cunningham MP, Mazzaferri E, McKee RF, Rosai J, et al. Initial results from a prospective cohort study of 5583 cases of thyroid carcinoma treated in the United States during 1996. U.S. and German thyroid cancer study group. An American College of Surgeons Commission on cancer patient care evaluation study. Cancer. 2000;89:202–17.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Goffredo P, Thomas SM, Adam MA, Sosa JA, Roman SA. Impact of timeliness of resection and thyroidectomy margin status on survival for patients with anaplastic thyroid cancer: an analysis of 335 cases. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015;22:4166–74. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-015-47472-6.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Chambers AJ, Pasieka JL. Poorly differentiated and undifferentiated thyroid cancer. In: Johnathan H, William BI, Chung-Yau L, editors. Endocrine surgery principles and practice. London: Springer; 2009. p. 121–36.Google Scholar
- 9.Michael Tuttle R, Sherman EJ, Cooper DS, Ross DS, Mulder JE. Uptodate Knowledgebase. Massachusetts, US; 2017. http://www.uptodate.com/contents/anaplastic-thyroid-cancer. Accessed Mar 2017.
- 10.Ruan DT, Clark OH. Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma, metastases to the thyroid gland, and thyroid lymphoma. In: Morita SY, Dackiw APB, Zeiger MA, editors. Endocrine surgery. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2010. p. 110–24.Google Scholar
- 12.De Crevoisier R, Baudin E, Bachelot A, Leboulleux S, Travagli JP, Caillou B, et al. Combined treatment of anaplastic thyroid carcinoma with surgery, chemotherapy, and hyperfractionated accelerated external radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004;60:1137–43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2004.05.032.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar