Low-Dose Radioiodine Therapy in Well-Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma
Thyroid carcinomas are usually diagnosed in small sizes and accepted as low-risk disease without disease-related mortality. However, there has been still controversy regarding the optimal management of differentiated thyroid carcinoma both in surgical technique and the use of radioactive iodine ablation. Moreover, there is also uncertainty about what activity should be administered for ablative purposes. In the current case, after completing almost 7 years of clinical follow-up without evidence of disease recurrence, low-dose radioactive ablation in thyroid cancer patients is discussed under the relevant literature.
KeywordsThyroid cancer Radioactive ablation American Thyroid Association Management guidelines
- 1.Haugen BR, Sawka AM, Alexander EK, Bible KC, Caturegli P, Doherty GM, et al. American Thyroid Association guidelines on the management of thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer task force review and recommendation on the proposed renaming of encapsulated follicular variant papillary thyroid carcinoma without ınvasion to noninvasive follicular thyroid neoplasm with papillary-like nuclear features. Thyroid. 2017;27:481–3. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2016.0628.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Fallahi B, Beiki D, Takavar A, Fard-Esfahani A, Gilani KA, Saghari M, et al. Low versus high radioiodine dose in postoperative ablation of residual thyroid tissue in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma: a large randomized clinical trial. Nucl Med Commun. 2012;33:275–82. https://doi.org/10.1097/MNM.0b013e32834e306a.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Caglar M, Bozkurt FM, Akca CK, Vargol SE, Bayraktar M, Ugur O, et al. Comparison of 800 and 3700 MBq iodine-131 for the postoperative ablation of thyroid remnant in patients with low-risk differentiated thyroid cancer. Nucl Med Commun. 2012;33:268–74. https://doi.org/10.1097/MNM.0b013e32834ec5d6.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Kukulska A, Krajewska J, Gawkowska-Suwińska M, Puch Z, Paliczka-Cieslik E, Roskosz J, et al. Radioiodine thyroid remnant ablation in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma (DTC): prospective comparison of long-term outcomes of treatment with 30, 60 and 100 mCi. Thyroid Res. 2010;31:9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-6614-3-9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Han JM, Kim WG, Kim TY, Jeon MJ, Ryu JS, Song DE, et al. Effects of low-dose and high-dose postoperative radioiodine therapy on the clinical outcome in patients with small differentiated thyroid cancer having microscopic extrathyroidal extension. Thyroid. 2014;24:820–5. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2013.0362.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar