The Effect of Positive Surgical Margins After Thyroidectomy on Patient Prognosis in Cases with Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma
The presence of gross/macroscopic positive margins and incomplete resection has long been recognized as significant risk factors for disease recurrence in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma (DTC). However, this is less clear for patients with microscopic positive margin when other significant risk factors are not present. In this chapter, two cases are presented in order to discuss the impact of microscopically involved surgical margins on disease recurrence.
KeywordsSurgical margins Differentiated thyroid cancer Prognosis
- 1.Haugen BR, Alexander EK, Bible KC, Doherty GM, Mandel SJ, Nikiforov YE, et al. 2015 American Thyroid Association management guidelines for adult patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer: the American Thyroid Association guidelines task force on thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid. 2016;26:1–133.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Kluijfhout WP, Pasternak JD, Kwon JS, Lim J, Shen WT, Gosnell JE, et al. Microscopic positive tumor margin does not increase the risk of recurrence in patients with T1-T2 well-differentiated thyroid cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:1446–51. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-015-4998-x.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Seethala RR, Asa SL, Carty SE, Hodak SP, McHugh JB, Richardson MS, et al. College of American Pathologist. Protocol for the examination of specimens from patients with carcinomas of the thyroid gland. 2017. http://www.cap.org/ShowProperty?nodePath=/UCMCon/Contribution%20Folders/WebContent/pdf/cp-thyroid-17protocol-4000.pdf. Accessed 28 June 2017.
- 9.Vural GU, Akkas BE, Ercakmak N, Basu S, Alavi A. Prognostic significance of FDG PET/CT on the follow-up of patients of differentiated thyroid carcinoma with negative 131I whole-body scan and elevated thyroglobulin levels: correlation with clinical and histopathologic characteristics and long-term follow-up data. Clin Nucl Med. 2012;37:953–9. https://doi.org/10.1097/RLU.0b013e31825b2057.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 11.Giovanella L, Ceriani L, Ghelfo A, Maffioli M, Keller F. Preoperative undetectable serum thyroglobulin in differentiated thyroid carcinoma: incidence, causes and management strategy. Clin Endocrinol. 2007;67:547.Google Scholar