Ethics in Biomedical Research
Scientific research on human subjects or animals calls for meticulous ethical scrutinizing and approval of the study plan before any such research can be commenced. Modern techniques such as genetic biomanipulation have brought unforeseen ethical problems calling for special attention. In this chapter we briefly discuss the philosophical and historical basis of ethics with focus on medical research ethics. The process of ethical approval is also being described.
KeywordsEthics Biomedical research
Supported by grant from the Finnish Medical Society.
Conflicts of Interest
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
- 1.Gordon J-S. Bioethics, the internet encyclopedia of philosophy, ISSN2161-0002, http://www.iep.utm.edu/, 5.6.2017.
- 2.Deigh J. Ethics. In: Audi R, editor. The Cambridge dictionary of philosophy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.Beauchamp TL, Childress JF. Principles of biomedical ethics. 7th ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2013.Google Scholar
- 4.Kuhse H, Singer P. What is bioethics? A historical introduction. In: Kuhse H, Singer P, editors. A companion to bioethics. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers Ltd; 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.Williams JR. Medical ethics manual. 3rd ed. World Medical Association; 2015. http://www.wma.net/.
- 7.The WMA Declaration of Geneva; 1948. https://www.wma.net/policies-post/wma-declaration-of-geneva/.
- 8.The WMA Declaration of Helsinki – ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects; 1964. https://www.wma.net/policies-post/wma-declaration-of-helsinki-ethical-principles-for-medical-research-involving-human-subjects/.
- 10.The Belmont Report | HHS.gov. https://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/regulations.../belmont-report/index.html.
- 11.Jonsen AR. The birth of bioethics. New York: Oxford University Press; 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.Shamoo AE, Resnik DB. Responsible conduct of research. 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2015.Google Scholar
- 14.Orlans FB. History and ethical regulation of animal experimentation: an international perspective. In: Kuhse H, Singer P, editors. A companion to bioethics. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers Ltd; 1998.Google Scholar
- 15.Rollin BE. The moral status of animals and their use as experimental subjects. In: Kuhse H, Singer P, editors. A companion to bioethics. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers; 1998.Google Scholar
- 16.Russell WMS, Burch RL. The principles of humane experimental technique. London: Methuen & Co. Ltd; 1959.Google Scholar
- 17.Background to the Three Rs Declaration of Bologna, as Adopted by the 3rd World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences, Bologna, Italy, on 31 August 1999. Executive Committee of the Congress. Altern Lab Anim. 2009;37:286–9.Google Scholar
- 20.Basel Declaration. A call for more trust, transparency and communication on animal research. http://www.basel-declaration.org/.