Review of Polymer Coatings Used for Blast Strengthening of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Structures
This paper presents a literature review on the use of polymer coatings in strengthening reinforced concrete and masonry structures against the effects of blast. The use of glass and carbon fiber-reinforced polymers (GFRP and CFRP) in blast strengthening applications has been studied very well in the past two decades. However, experimental and numerical studies of polymer coatings used in blast strengthening applications are scarce in literature. This paper compiles the available experimental and numerical studies that utilized polymer coatings as protective layers, including, but not limited to, polyurea and polyurethane spray-on polymers.
- 2.Urgessa, G. S. (2009). Finite element analysis of composite hardened walls subjected to blast loads. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 2(4), 804–811.Google Scholar
- 6.Connell, J. D. (2002). Evaluation of elastomeric polymers for retrofit of unreinforced masonry walls subjected to blast (MS thesis). The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham.Google Scholar
- 9.Knox, K. J., Hammons, M. I., Lewis, T. T., & Porter, J. R. (2000). Polymer materials for structural retrofit. Tyndall AFB: Force Protection Branch, Air Expeditionary Forces Technology Division, Air Force Research Laboratory.Google Scholar
- 10.Porter, J. R., Dinan, R. J., Hammons, M. I., & Knox, K. J. (2002). Polymer coatings increase blast resistance of existing and temporary structures. AMPTIAC Quarterly, 6(4), 47–52.Google Scholar
- 11.Hoo Fatt, M. S., Ouyang, X., & Dinan, R. J. (2004). Blast response of elastomer coatings. In Proceedings of the eighth international conference on structures under shock and impact, Crete (pp. 129–138).Google Scholar
- 15.Ciornei, L. (2012). Performance of polyurea retrofitted unreinforced concrete masonry walls under blast loading (MS thesis). University of Ottawa, Ottawa.Google Scholar
- 17.Rivera, H. K. D. (2013). Nanoenhanced polyurea as a blast resistant coating for concrete masonry walls (MS thesis). The University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS.Google Scholar
- 19.Raman, S. N., Ngo, T., Mendis, P., & Pham, T. (2012). Elastomeric polymers for retrofitting of reinforced concrete structures against the explosive effects of blast. Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 8, Article ID 754142. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/754142.
- 20.Raman, S. N., Jamil, M., Ngo, T., Mendis, P., & Pham, T. (2014). Retrofitting of RC panels subjected to blast effects using elastomeric polymer coatings. Proceedings of concrete solutions, 5th international conference on concrete repair (pp. 353–360). Belfast, United Kingdom.Google Scholar