A Short Review on Sleep Scheduling Mechanism in Wireless Sensor Networks
As a common train of thought to save energy, sleep scheduling which turns sensor nodes on and off has become a significant method to prolong the lifetime of wireless sensor networks (WSNs). In recent years, many related sleep scheduling mechanisms with diverse emphases and application areas for WSNs have been proposed. This paper reviews those mechanisms and further classifies them in different taxonomies as well as provides an insight into them.
KeywordsSleep scheduling Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs) Insight
This work is supported by China Maoming Engineering Research Center on Industrial Internet of Things (No. 517018) and major international cooperation projects of colleges in Guangdong Province (No. 2015KGJHZ026) and Science and Technology Planning Project of Guangdong Province (No. 2017A050506057).
- 1.Zhu, C., Yang, L.T., Shu, L., Rodrigues, J.J.P.C., Hara, T.: A geographic routing oriented sleep scheduling algorithm in duty-cycled sensor networks. In: 2012 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), pp. 5473–5477. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Zhu, C., Yang, L.T., Shu, L., Duong, T.Q., Nishio, S.: Secured energy-aware sleep scheduling algorithm in duty-cycled sensor networks. In: 2012 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), pp. 1953–1957. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Ye, W., Heidemann, J., Estrin, D.: An energy-efficient MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks. In: The 21st Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM), vol. 3, pp. 1567–1576. IEEE (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Texas Instruments: Cc2420: 2.4 GHz IEEE 802.15. 4/ZigBee-ready RF transceiver, vol. 53 (2006). http://wwww.ti.com/lit/gpn/cc2420
- 10.Zhu, C., Chen, Y., Wang, L., Shu, L., Zhang, Y.: SMAC-based proportional fairness backoff scheme in wireless sensor networks. In: The International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC), pp. 138–142 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Khalil, M.I., Hossain, M.A., Mamtaz, R., Ahmed, I., Akter, M.: Time efficient receiver oriented sleep scheduling for underwater sensor network. In: 2017 IEEE International Conference on Imaging, Vision & Pattern Recognition (icIVPR), pp. 1–6. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.Wang, D., Mukherjee, M., Shu, L., Chen, Y., Hancke, G.: Sleep scheduling for critical nodes in group-based industrial wireless sensor networks. In: 2017 IEEE International Conference on Communications Workshops (ICC Workshops), pp. 694–698. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Fang, W., Mukherjee, M., Shu, L., Zhou, Z., Hancke, G.P.: Energy utilization concerned sleep scheduling in wireless powered communication networks. In: 2017 IEEE International Conference on Communications Workshops (ICC Workshops), pp. 558–563. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 16.Baba, S.B., Rao, K.M.: Improving the network life time of a wireless sensor network using the integration of progressive sleep scheduling algorithm with opportunistic routing protocol. Indian J. Sci. Technol. 9(17), 1–6 (2016)Google Scholar
- 21.Kumar, S., Kim, H.: Low energy scheduling of minimal active time slots for multi-channel multi-hop convergence wireless sensor networks. In: 2017 International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), pp. 1051–1057. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar