Joint Optimization of Latency Monitoring and Traffic Scheduling in Software Defined Heterogeneous Networks
Since the current Internet is only able to provide best-effort services, the quality of service (QoS) for many emerging businesses cannot be well guaranteed. Meanwhile, due to the privatization of networks management, multi-vendor heterogeneous networks are difficult to provide end-to-end QoS assurance on demand. Therefore, heterogeneous devices from different vendors also bring new challenges to the flexible control of network equipment. Software defined network (SDN) is an emerging paradigm which separates the network’s control logic from the underlying routers and switches. In this paper, we design a monitoring loop of link latency by using both LLDP and Echo probing modules. Then, a dynamic routing algorithm is proposed to select optimized transmission path based on the information of link latency. In addition, we develop a routing application assorted with the monitoring mechanism by extending the RYU controller. We implement our solution in a semi-practical SDN testbed. Finally, the overall feasibility and efficiency of the proposed solution are experimentally verified and evaluated.
KeywordsSDN Latency monitoring Traffic engineering QoS Heterogeneous network
This work is supported by the National Nature Science Foundation of China under Grant 61401082, in part by the General Armament Department and Ministry of Education United Fund under Grant 6141A0224-003, in part by the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities under Grant N161604004 and Grant N161608001, and in part by National Scholarship Foundation of China.
- 1.Braden, R., Clark, D., Shenker, S.: Integrated services in the internet architecture: an overview, June 1994Google Scholar
- 2.Blake, S., Black, D., Carlson, M., Davies, E., Wang, Z., Weiss, W.: An architecture for differentiated services, December 1998Google Scholar
- 3.Rosen, E., Rekhter, Y.: BGP/MPLS VPN, March 1999Google Scholar
- 9.Ning, Z., Hu, X., Chen, Z., Zhou, M., Hu, B., Cheng, J., Obaidat, M.: A cooperative quality-aware service access system for social internet of vehicles. IEEE Internet Things J. (2017). https://doi.org/10.1109/JIOT.2017.2764259
- 11.Hou, W., Ning, Z., Guo, L.: Green survivable collaborative edge computing in smart cities. IEEE Trans. Ind. Inform. (2018). https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2018.2797922
- 13.Phemius, K., Bouet, M.: Monitoring latency with OpenFlow. In: International Conference on Network & Service Management, pp. 122–125 (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Zhang, X., Hou, W., Guo, L., Wang, S., Sun, Y., Yang, X.: Failure recovery solutions using cognitive mechanisms for software defined optical networks. In: 2016 15th International Conference on Optical Communications and Networks, pp. 1–3 (2016)Google Scholar
- 15.Zhang, X., Guo, L., Hou, W., Zhang, Q., Wang, S.: Failure recovery solutions using cognitive mechanisms based on software defined optical network platform. Opt. Eng. 56(1), 1–14 (2017)Google Scholar