Anticipatory Failure Determination (AFD) for Product Reliability Analysis: A Comparison Between AFD and Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) for Identifying Potential Failure Modes
Silva and Carvalho explore Anticipatory Failure Determination (AFD), a TRIZ-originated method, for identifying potential failure modes in product reliability analysis. Although the most widespread method is Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), there are many claims concerning the effectiveness of AFD. As few real AFD cases are available and no previous attempt found, the authors systematically compare AFD with FMEA. The chapter summarizes a theoretical comparison between both methods and presents a practical case with engineering students who learned the methods, applied them, and evaluated the results. Silva and Carvalho conclude that AFD is indeed a sound reliability method that could be used as an alternative or an addition to FMEA.
The authors thank UTFPR, FUNTEF-PR, Fundação Araucária, CAPES, and CNPq for providing the infrastructure and financial support for this research.
- Atman, C. J., Yasuhara, K., Adams, R. S., et al. (2008). Breadth in problem scoping: A comparison of freshman and senior engineering students. International Journal of Engineering Education, 24(2), 234–245.Google Scholar
- Azevedo, C. E. F., Oliveira, L. G. L., Gonzalez, R. K., et al. (2013). A Estratégia da Triangulação: Objetivos, Possibilidades, Limitações e Proximidades com o Pragmatismo. In Encontro de En-sino e Pesquisa em Administração e Contabilidade. Rio de Janeiro: Associação Nacional de Pós-Graduação e Pesquisa em Administração.Google Scholar
- Bruch, C. (2004). Handling undesired functions during conceptual design – A state – and state – Transition – Based approach. International design conference, 8. https://www.designsociety.org/download-publication/19843/handling_undesired_functions_during_conceptual_design-a_state-and_state-transition-based_approach. Accessed 4 Dec 2016.
- Carlson, C. S. (2014). Understanding and applying the fundamentals of FMEAs. Annual reliability and maintainability symposium. http://www.reliasoft.com/pubs/2014_RAMS_fundamentals_of_fmeas.pdf. Accessed 4 Dec 2016.
- Clarke, D. W., Vishnepolschi, S., & Zlotin, B. (1999). Case study: Application of AFD – Failure analysis for the analysis of power transfer between a transmission sun gear and associated satellites. Ideation International Inc. http://www.ideationtriz.com/new/materials/WalkingBearingCaseStudy.pdf. Accessed 5 Dec 2016.
- De Carvalho, M. A., & Hatekeyama, K. (2003). Solução Inventiva de Problemas e Engenharia Automotiva: A Abordagem da TRIZ. In Revista Engenharia Automotiva e Aeroespacial (Vol. 3(13), pp. 34–37). Brasil: SAE. http://www.aditivaconsultoria.com/artigoengautomotivaeaerospacial-marcoekazuo.pdf. Accessed 4 Dec 2016.
- Frenklach, G. (1998). Diversionary method. TRIZ Journal. https://triz-journal.com/diversionary-method/. Accessed 23 Aug 2017.
- Hiltmann, K. (2015). Predicting unknown failures (Vol. 132, pp. 840–849). Triz future conference. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705815042769. Accessed 04 Dec 2016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hipple, J. (2006). Predictive failure analysis™: How to use TRIZ in “Reverse”. TRIZ Journal. https://triz-journal.com/predictive-failure-analysis-use-triz-reverse. Accessed 5 Dec 2016.
- Hipple, J. (2015). Predictive failure analysis™: Planning for your worst business nightmare by figuring out what it is. New & Improved White Paper Archive. http://newandimproved.biz/newsletter/2015.php. Accessed 4 Dec 2016.
- IDEATION. (2012). History of TRIZ & I-TRIZ. http://www.ideationtriz.com/history.asp. Accessed 5 Dec 2016.
- Jenkins, B. (2013). Automating FMEA: Next-generation failure analysis. Naneva Orare-search. http://oraresearch.com/wpcontent/uploads/2014/11/Ora_FMEA_130812. Accessed 5 Dec 2016.
- Kaplan, S., Visnepolschi, S., Zlotin, B., et al. (2005). New tools for failure and risk analysis: Anticipatory Failure Determination (AFD) and theory of scenario structuring. Southfield: Ideation International Inc.Google Scholar
- Kohnhauser, V. (1999). Use of TRIZ in the development process: Zero-defect-development for customer centered innovative products. TRIZ Journal. https://triz-journal.com/use-triz-development-process-zero-defect-development-customer-centered-innovative-products. Accessed 4 Dec 2016.
- Laboratório de Epidemiologia e Estatística. (1996). Estimação de Uma Proporção. http://www.lee.dante.br/pesquisa/amostragem/calculo_amostra.html. Accessed 5 Dec 2016.
- Livotov, P. (2004). The undervalued innovation potential: Industrial application of TRIZ delivers more breakthroughs to less cost – If the right tools are applied at the right time and place. Research Gate. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/237686175_The_undervalued_innovation_potential_industrial_application_of_TRIZ_delivers_more_breakthroughs_to_less_cost_if_the_right_tools_are_applied_at_the_right_time_and_place. Accessed 5 Dec 2016.
- Livotov, P. (2008). Innovative product development and theory of inventive problem solving. Triz and innovation management, Innovator. http://www.triz.it/triz_papers/2008%20TRIZ%20and%20Innovation%20Management.pdf. Accessed 4 Dec 2016.
- Masin, I., & Jirman, P. (2012). Production problems solving based on negative effect and non-desirable component identification. TRIZ future conference, Lisboa.Google Scholar
- McDermott, R. E., Mikulak, R., & Beauregard, M. R. (2009). The basics of FMEA (3rd ed.). New York: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Proseanic, V., Tananko, D., & Visnepolschi, S. (2000). The experience of the Anticipatory Failure Determination (AFD) method applied to an engine concern. TRIZ Journal. https://triz-journal.com/experience-anticipatory-failure-determination-afd-method-applied-engine-concern. Accessed 5 Dec 2016.
- Regazzoni, D., & Russo, D. (2010). TRIZ tools to enhance risk managemente (Vol. 9, pp. 40–51). TRIZ future conference. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705811001160. Accessed 04 Dec 2016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Santana, A., & Massarani, M. (2005). Engenharia do Valor Associada ao DFMEA no Desenvolvimento de Produto (pp. 1–12). Society of Automotiv Engineers Inc. http://www.mecanica-poliusp.org.br/05pesq/cont/pdf/712.pdf. Accessed 4 Dec 2016.
- Sarno, E., Kumar, V., & Li, W. (2005). A hybrid methodology for enhancing reliability of large systems in conceptual design and its application to the design of a multiphase flow station. Engineering Design, 16, 27–41. http://faculty.washington.edu/vkumar/microcel/linkfiles/labpapers/15.pdf. Accessed 4 Dec 2016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Silva, R. F. (2017). Determinação Antecipada de Falhas (AFD) para a Identificação de Falhas Potenciais no Projeto de Produtos: Uma Comparação com a Análise de Modo e Efeitos de Falhas (FMEA). Repositório Institucional da Universidade Tecnológica Federal do Paraná (UTFPR). http://repositorio.utfpr.edu.br/jspui/bitstream/1/2625/1/CT_PPGEM_M_Silva%2C%20Renan%20Favar%C3%A3o%20da_2017.pdf. Accessed 6 Jan 2018.
- Song, T., Becker, K., Gero, J. et al. (2016). Problem decomposition and recomposition in engineering design: A comparison of design behavior between professional engineers, engineering seniors, and engineering freshmen. Journal of Technology Education, 27(2), 37–56. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/302418470_Problem_Decomposition_and_Recomposition_in_Engineering_Design_a_Comparison_of_Design_Behavior_Between_Professional_Engineers_Engineering_Seniors_and_Engineering_Freshmen. Accessed 8 Jan 2018.
- Souchkov, V. (2014). Breakthrough thinking with TRIZ for business and management: Na overview. ICG training & consulting. http://www.xtriz.com/TRIZforBusinessAndManagement.pdf. Accessed 4–05 Dec 2016.
- Thurnes, C. M., Zeihsel, F., & Visnepolshi, S., et al. (2012). Using TRIZ to invent failures: Concept and application to go beyond traditional FMEA (Vol. 131, pp. 426–450). TRIZ future conference. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705815043313. Accessed 04 Dec 2016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ungvari, S. F. (1999). The anticipatory failure determination fact sheet. TRIZ Journal. https://triz-journal.com/anticipatory-failure-determination-fact-sheet. Accessed 5 Dec 2016.
- Yuan, J. T. J., Kong, K. Y., Parveen, H., et al. (2014). An overview of design cognition between experts and novices. International conference on advanced design research and education. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Hashina_Parveen/publication/264545745_An_Overview_of_Design_Cognition_between_Experts_and_Novices/links/53e4702b0cf21cc29fc8f781.pdf. Accessed 04 Dec 2016.