SUPERhip and SUPERhip2 Procedures for Congenital Femoral Deficiency
Congenital femoral deficiency (CFD) presents a spectrum of deficiency, deformity and dysplasia of the upper femur, hip joint and acetabulum. The Paley classification divides this spectrum into separate pathoanatomical groups that can be treated using discreetly different operative procedures specific to the pathoanatomy of each type of CFD. The SUPERhip1 procedure is used to reconstruct Paley type 1 CFD cases, while the SUPERhip2 procedure is used to reconstruct Paley type 2 CFD cases.
KeywordsSUPERhip CFD Congenital femoral deficiency Coxa vara Femoral neck pseudarthrosis
The author wishes to thank Pamela Boullier Ross, who created all of the illustrations used in this chapter. The author would also like to thank the Paley Foundation for funding the cost of the illustrations and for giving permission to Springer for their use in this chapter.
- 1.Paley D. Lengthening reconstruction surgery for congenital femoral deficiency. In: Herring JA, Birch JG, editors. The child with a limb deficiency. Rosemont, IL: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 1998. p. 113–32.Google Scholar
- 4.Paley D. Treatment of congenital femoral deficiency. In: Weisel SW, editor. Operative techniques in orthopaedic surgery. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2015. p. 1532–51.Google Scholar
- 5.Paley D, Guadro F. Lengthening reconstruction surgery for congenital femoral deficiency. In: Kocaoğlu M, et al., editors. Advanced techniques in limb reconstruction surgery. Berlin: Springer; 2014. p. 245–99.Google Scholar
- 7.Paley D, Standard SC. Lengthening reconstruction surgery for congenital femoral deficiency. In: Rozbruch SR, Ilizarov S, editors. Limb lengthening and reconstruction surgery. New York: Informa; 2007. p. 393–428.Google Scholar
- 8.Paley D, Standard SC. Treatment of congenital femoral deficiency. In: Wiesel S, editor. Operative techniques in orthopaedic surgery. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2010. p. 1202–23.Google Scholar
- 9.Paley D. Progress in and from limb lengthening. In: Current progress in orthopedics. Mumbai: Tree Life Media, Kothari Medical Subscription Services Pvt Ltd; 2014. p. 55–80.Google Scholar