The Introduction briefly presents recent developments at the origin of the geopolitical changes analyzed in the book. It provides a succinct description of each chapter and summarizes the conclusions. In particular, it emphasizes the perception of the evolution of the East European regional security complex as a struggle between the European Union’s Kantian, win-win geopolitical vision and Russia’s neoclassical geopolitics also promoted by President Trump. It is highly probable that, in the medium term and long term, the latter approach will have the upper hand.
KeywordsEastern Europe President Trump Brexit Neoclassical geopolitics Russia European Union
- Băsescu, Traian, et al. 2017. Letter to President-Elect Donald J. Trump from America’s Allies. Washington Post, January 9. https://www.washingtonpost.com/r/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2017/01/10/Editorial-Opinion/Graphics/Letter_to_Trump.pdf.
- Bremmer, Ian, and Cliff Kupchan. 2017. Top Risks 2017: The Geopolitical Recession. Eurasia Group, January 3. https://www.eurasiagroup.net/issues/top-risks-2017.
- Ikenberry, G. John. 2017. The Plot Against American Foreign Policy: Can the Liberal Order Survive? Foreign Affairs 96 (3): 2–9.Google Scholar
- Ischinger, Wolfgang. 2017. How Europe Should Deal with Trump. Munich Security Conference 2017, February 15. https://www.securityconference.de/en/discussion/monthly-mind/single-view/article/monthly-mind-february-2017-how-europe-should-deal-with-trump/.
- Sanger, David E., and Maggie Haberman. 2016. Donald Trump Sets Conditions for Defending NATO Allies against Attack. The New York Times, July 20. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/21/us/politics/donald-trump-issues.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&mtrref=www.nytimes.com&gwh=9BA8E30700B76DDAC45E9EA68163830A&gwt=pay&_r=0.
- The Economist. April 15, 2017. On a Whim and a Prayer. http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21720625-two-big-caveats-donald-trumps-foreign-policy-looks-more-normal-promised.
- The Economist. February 4, 2017. An Insurgent in the White House. http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21716026-donald-trump-rages-against-world-he-inherited-president-americas-allies-are-worriedand.
- Weir, Fred. 2016. The Trump Presidency: How Will It Affect Ties to Putin’s Russia? The Christian Science Monitor, November 10. http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2016/1110/The-Trump-presidency-How-will-it-affect-ties-to-Putin-s-Russia-video.