Assembly of Nuclear Pore Complex
Nuclear pore complexes (NPCs) are multiprotein supercomplexes that serve as gates for nuclear–cytoplasmic transport in eukaryotic cells. The assembly of NPCs is critical for proper cell division and for maintaining normal physiological function of cells. However, the sequential order of NPC assembly is still unclear and controversial results have been obtained from various studies. This review summarizes current understanding on NPC assembly focusing on known protein–protein interactions and regulation pathways.
- Hampoelz B, Mackmull MT, Machado P, Ronchi P, Bui KH, Schieber N, Santarella-Mellwig R, Necakov A, Andres-Pons A, Philippe JM, Lecuit T, Schwab Y, Beck M (2016) Pre-assembled nuclear pores insert into the nuclear envelope during early development. Cell 166:664–678CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Maeshima K, Iino H, Hihara S, Funakoshi T, Watanabe A, Nishimura M, Nakatomi R, Yahata K, Imamoto F, Hashikawa T, Yokota H, Imamoto N (2010) Nuclear pore formation but not nuclear growth is governed by cyclin-dependent kinases (Cdks) during interphase. Nat Struct Mol Biol 17:1065–1071CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mansfeld J, Guttinger S, Hawryluk-Gara LA, Pante N, Mall M, Galy V, Haselmann U, Muhlhausser P, Wozniak RW, Mattaj IW, Kutay U, Antonin W (2006) The conserved transmembrane nucleoporin NDC1 is required for nuclear pore complex assembly in vertebrate cells. Mol Cell 22:93–103CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Otsuka S, Bui KH, Schorb M, Hossain MJ, Politi AZ, Koch B, Eltsov M, Beck M, Ellenberg J (2016) Nuclear pore assembly proceeds by an inside-out extrusion of the nuclear envelope. Elife 5Google Scholar
- Vollmer B, Lorenz M, Moreno-Andres D, Bodenhofer M, De Magistris P, Astrinidis SA, Schooley A, Flotenmeyer M, Leptihn S, Antonin W (2015) Nup153 Recruits the Nup107-160 complex to the inner nuclear membrane for interphasic nuclear pore complex assembly. Dev Cell 33:717–728CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- von Appen A, Kosinski J, Sparks L, Ori A, DiGuilio AL, Vollmer B, Mackmull MT, Banterle N, Parca L, Kastritis P, Buczak K, Mosalaganti S, Hagen W, Andres-Pons A, Lemke EA, Bork P, Antonin W, Glavy JS, Bui KH, Beck M (2015) In situ structural analysis of the human nuclear pore complex. Nature 526:140–143CrossRefGoogle Scholar