Cryptological Analyses, Decoding Symbols, and Decipherment
Eminent cryptologists, including William Friedman (1891–1969), who broke the Japanese “Purple” cipher, have been unable to decipher the symbolic writing of the Voynich Codex. Furthermore, recent analyses have demonstrated that the manuscript is not a hoax and that a real language is involved. The assumption that the basic language is Latin remains unproven. Friedman had concluded that the language of the Voynich Codex must be a synthetic language. Various decipherments of the symbols are presented and applied to labels associated with 64 apothecary jars in the Pharmaceutical section. All appear to be untranslated, with the exception of the Tucker and Talbert decipherment, which was based on botanical evidence.
KeywordsCryptology Decipherment Hoax Symbolic writing Voynich William Friedman
- Ackerson, T. 2012. Cited in Dragoni (2012).Google Scholar
- Bax, S. 2014. A proposed partial decoding of the Voynich script. www.stephenbax.net Version January 2014.
- Brumbaugh, R.S. 1978. The most mysterious manuscript. Carbondale: Southern Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Burisch, D. 2012. Cited in Dragoni (2012).Google Scholar
- Casanova, A. 1999. Méthodes d’analyse du langage crypté: Une contribution à l’étude du manuscript du Voynich. Docteur thesis. Université Paris.Google Scholar
- Child, J.R. 1976/2002. The Voynich Manuscript revisited. National Security Agency/Central Security Service, Fort George G. Meade, Maryland. DOCID: 636899.Google Scholar
- ———. 2007. Again, the Voynich Manuscript. Unpubl. pdf. http://web.archive.org/web/20090616205410/http://voynichmanuscript.net/voynichpaper.pdf. 3 Feb 2017.
- Comegys, J.C. 2001. Keys for the Voynich Scholar: Necessary clues for the decipherment and reading of the world’s most mysterious manuscript which is a medical text in Nahuatl attributable to Francisco Hernández and his Aztec Ticiti collaborators. J.C. Comegys, Madera, CA. Library of Congress MLCM 2006/02284 (R) FT MEADE.Google Scholar
- Comegys, J.D. 2013. The Voynich Manuscript: Aztec herbal from New Spain. voynichms.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/VMSAztecHerbal-JDComegys.pdf. Accessed 5 June 2017.
- Currier, P. 1970–1976, Voynich MS transcription alphabet. Plans for computer studies: transcribed text of Herbal A and B material: Notes and Observations. Unpublished communication to John H. Tiltman and M. D’Imperio, Damariscotta, Maine. Cited in D’Imperio.Google Scholar
- D’Imperio, M.E. 1978. The Voynich manuscript: An elegant enigma. In National Security Agency/central security Service. Meade: Fort George G.Google Scholar
- Dakin, K. 1981. The characteristics of a Nahuatl lingua franca, 55–67. In: Nahuatl studies in memory of Fernando Horcasitas, ed. Frances Karttunen. Texas Linguistic Forum 18.Google Scholar
- De Alarcón, H.R. 1987. Treatise on the heathen superstitions that today live among the Indians native to This New Spain, 1629. Trans. & ed. J.R. Andrews and R. Hassig. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press.Google Scholar
- Dragoni, L. 2012. Il manoscritto Voynich: Un po’ di chiarezza sul libro più misterioso del mondo. Unpubl. pdf. http://www.cropfiles.it/altrimisteri/Voynich.pdf. 1 Sept 2014.
- Feely, J.M. 1943. Roger Bacon’s cipher: The right key found. New York: Rochester.Google Scholar
- Feng, R. 2016. 141: Cracking the Voynich manuscript code (2nd thesis draft). In School of electrical and electronic engineering. Adelaide: Ther University of Adelaide.Google Scholar
- Finn, J.E. 2004. Pandora’s hope: Humanity’s call to adventure. Baltimore: PublishAmerica.Google Scholar
- Friedman, E.S. 1962. ‘The most mysterious ms’ still an enigma. The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959–1963), August 5.Google Scholar
- Gibson, D. 2003. The Voynich question: A possible Middle East connection. Unpubl. web page. http://nabatea.net/vconnect.html. 3 Feb 2017.
- Guy, J.B.M. 1991. On Levitov’s decipherment of the Voynich manuscript. Cited in Kennedy and Churchill (2006).Google Scholar
- Gwynn, B. 2006. Cited in Kennedy and Churchill (2006).Google Scholar
- Hoschel, 2012. Cited in Dragoni (2012).Google Scholar
- Huth, V. 2012. Cited in Dragoni (2012).Google Scholar
- Karttunen, F. 1983. An analytical dictionary of Nahuatl. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press.Google Scholar
- Kennedy, G., and R. Churchill. 2006. The Voynich manuscript: the mysterious code that has defied interpretations for centuries. Rochester, Vermont: Inner Traditions. (First published in 2004 by Orion press, London).Google Scholar
- Kircher, F., and D. Becker. 2012. Le manuscrit Voynich décodé. Agnières: SARL JMG editions.Google Scholar
- Knight, K. 2009. The Voynich Manuscript. MIT. http://www.isi.edu/natural-language/people/voynich.pdf. 1 May 2014.
- Landsmann, E. 2008. The Voynich-Manuscript. Unpubl. pdf. http://elifonaot.q32.de/cms/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=de:pub:2007:20071231e:20071231e_dasvoynichmanuskript.pdf. 4 Feb 2017.
- Levitov, L.E. 1987. Solution of the Voynich manuscript: A liturgical manual for the Endura rite of the Cathari heresy, the cult of Isis. Laguna Park: Aegean Park Press.Google Scholar
- Maat, J. 2012. Cited in Dragoni (2012).Google Scholar
- O’Neill, H. 1944. Botanical observations on the Voynich MS. Speculum 19: 126.Google Scholar
- Packheiser, U. 2013. Das Voynich manuscript. FP Web & Publishing. http://www.utep.de.
- Rivero, H. 2012. Cited in Dragoni (2012).Google Scholar
- Sherwood, E. and E. Sherwood. 2008. The Voynich botanical plants. http://edithsherwood.com/voynich_botanical_plants/index.php. 5 June 2017.
- Stojko, J. 1978. Letter to God’s eye: The Voynich manuscript for the first time deciphered and translated into English. Vantage Press. New York.Google Scholar
- Stolfi, J. 2006. Cited in Kennedy and Churchill (2006).Google Scholar
- Sullivan, M. 2012. Cited in Dragoni (2012).Google Scholar
- Tucker, A.O., and R.H. Talbert. 2013. A preliminary analysis of the botany, zoology, and mineralogy of the Voynich Manuscript. Herbalgram 100: 70–85.Google Scholar
- Vonfelt, S. 2014. The strange resonances of the Voynich manuscript. Unpubl. pdf. http://graphoscopie.free.fr/publications/Voynich_en.pdf. 23 Jan 2017.
- Williams, R.L. 1999. A note on the Voynich manuscript. Cryptologia 23: 305–309.Google Scholar
- Zandbergen, R. 2004–2017. The Voynich Manuscript. www.voynich.nu/. 6 June 2017.