Teacher Involvement in the Russian National Exam in Foreign Languages: Experience and Perspectives
The Russian National Examination (RNE) in English is part of the RNE system, which includes examinations in all school subjects. Taking the RNE is almost the only way to obtain a place in a higher educational institution, which makes the RNE a High-Stakes exam.
Due to the size of the country and the number of examinees, the system of independent examiners and specially organized examination centers has proved to be both unprofitable and inefficient. Since the very first years when the RNE was introduced, schoolteachers and university lecturers have played the role of assessors. The widespread involvement of schoolteachers requires training courses for assessors to achieve the required level of objective evaluation throughout the country. Every year more and more teachers are involved in the assessment procedures, which triggers both positive and negative processes and consequences. This chapter describes these consequences in the national context and examines measures taken by the Federal Institute of Pedagogical Assessment, the major provider of methodological assistance to examination boards, to minimize the negative consequences of the RNE and to promote positive effects.
- Bishop, J. H. (2001). A steeper, better road to graduation. Education Next, 4, 56–61.Google Scholar
- Chevtaeva, N. G., & Strebkova, N. V. (2011). Ocenka kachestva shkol’nogo obrazovanija: Sociologicheskij analiz grupp interesov. [The evaluation of school education quality: The sociological analysis of group interests]. Monitoring obshhestvennogo mnenija, 2, 143–162.Google Scholar
- Johnson, J., Duffett, A. (2004). An assessment of survey data on attitudes about teaching including the views of parents, administrators, teachers and the general public. New York: Public Agenda. Retrieved September 30, 2016, from http://www.publicagenda.org/files/attitudes_about_teaching.pdf
- Mahmurjan, K. S. (2014). Programma podgotovki jekspertov PK sub’ektov RF pri proverke ustnyh otvetov uchastnikov EGJe po inostrannym jazykam [The training programme for assessors for the speaking part of the RNE in foreign languages]. Moscow: Federal Institute of Pedagogical Assessment. Retrieved September 30, 2016, from http://fipi.ru/sites/default/files/event-all/seminars/mahmuryan_programma_podgotovki_ekspertov.pptx
- Orehova, S. V. (2014). Analiz raboty predmetnyh komissij pri provedenii i obrabotke rezul’tatov EGJe v 2014 godu [The analysis of the examinations board performance during the RNE and processing of the results in 2014]. Paper presented at the seminar on the results of the RNE in 2014 and strategies to improve the RNE procedure technologies in 2015, Moscow. Retrieved September 30, 2016, from www.rustest.ru/uploads/files/conference/oktyabr_2014/19.ppt
- Popham, W. J. (2001). Teaching to the test. Educational Leadership, 58, 16–20.Google Scholar
- Statistika EGJe [The RNE statistics]. Federal information site on the RNE. Retrieved September 30, 2016., from http://www.ege.edu.ru/ru/main/satistics-ege/
- Swanson, C. B. (2006). Making the connection: A decade of standards-based reform and achievement. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association, Montreal. Retrieved September 30, 2016, from http://citation.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/1/0/4/3/7/pages104378/p104378-1.php