Just in Time
This chapter aims to clarify the definition of Just-in-Time (JIT) presenting it as a philosophy that contributes to the maximum reduction of the seven categories of wastes in the production process.
An innovation of this chapter is to highlight the human dimension of JIT exploring also the positive impact of it on the performance of companies.
However, to guarantee that those performance benefits are reached a set of assumptions have to be observed, being them identified in this chapter.
- Arredondo-Soto, K. C., Carrillo-Gutiérrez, T., Solís-Quinteros, M., & Hernández-Escobedo, G. (2018). A theoretical framework about the impact of human factors on manufacturing process performance. In J. L. García-Alcaraz, G. Alor-Hernández, A. A. Maldonado-Macías, & C. Sánchez-Ramírez (Eds.), New perspectives on applied industrial tools and techniques, management and industrial engineering (pp. 327–352). Cham: Springer.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chen, Z., & Sarker, B. R. (2017). Integrated production-inventory and pricing decisions for a single-manufacturer multi-retailer system of deteriorating items under JIT delivery policy. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 89, 2099–2117. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-016-9169-0CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dennis, P. (2015). Lean production simplified: A plain-language guide to the world’s most powerful production system (3rd ed.). Boca Raton, FL: Productivity Press.Google Scholar
- Deuse, J., Heuser, C., Konrad, B., Lenze, D., Maschek, T., Wiegand, M., & Willats, P. (2018). Pushing the limits of lean thinking – Design and management of complex production systems. In E. Viles, M. Ormazábal, & A. Lleó (Eds.), Closing the gap between practice and research in industrial engineering (pp. 335–342). Cham: Springer.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Heiko, L. (1989). A simple framework for understanding JIT. Product Inventory Management Journal, Alexandria, 30, 61.Google Scholar
- Hirano, H. (2009). JIT implementation manual: The complete guide to just-in-time manufacturing (2nd ed.). New York: Taylor and Francis.Google Scholar
- Hou, B., Chan, H. K., & Wang, X. (2011). A case study of just-in-time system in the Chinese automotive industry. In the Proceedings of the World Congress of Engineers 2011 (The 2011 International Conference of Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering Management) (pp. 904–908).Google Scholar
- Kochan, T. A., Lansbury, R. D., & MacDuffie, J. P. (Eds.). (1997). After lean production: Evolving employment practices in the world auto industry. Cornell International Industrial and Labor Relations Reports. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Kootanaee, A. J., Nagendra Babu, K., & Talari, H. F. (2013). Just-in-time manufacturing system: From introduction to implement. International Journal of Economics, Business and Finance, 1(2), 07–25.Google Scholar
- Mehra, S., & Inman, R. A. (1992). Determining the critical elements of just-in-time implementation. Decision Science, 23, 160–174. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.1992.tb00382.xCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Michlowicz, E. (2017). Kanban system in the flow control subassemblies as a component of lean manufacturing. In proceeding of Intelligent Systems in Production Engineering and Maintenance – ISPEM 2017, Advances in intelligent systems and computing (pp. 271–283). Cham: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-64465-3_27Google Scholar
- Monden, Y. (2011). Toyota production system: An integrated approach to just-in-time (4th ed.). Boca Raton, FL: Productivity Press.Google Scholar
- Murray, C. (Ed.). (2006). The marketing gurus: Lessons from the best marketing books of all time. New Yok: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Ohno, T., & Bodek, N. (1988). Toyota production system: Beyond large-scale production (1st ed.). Cambridge, MA: Productivity Press.Google Scholar
- Sakakibara, S., Flynn, B. B., & Schroeder, R. G. (1993). A framework and measurement instrument for just-in-time manufacturing. Production Operations Management, 2, 177–194. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.1993.tb00097.xCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Womack, J. P., & Jones, D. T. (2010). Lean thinking: Banish waste and create wealth in your corporation. New York: Simon and Schuster.Google Scholar
- Zhang, X. J. (2014). Inventory control of supply chain environment. Advanced Material Research, 971–973, 2346–2349. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.971-973.2346CrossRefGoogle Scholar