The majority of adult patients diagnosed with a primary brain tumour will receive radiotherapy as part of their management plan. This chapter aims to explore what radiotherapy is and define the various forms of radiotherapy used in the treatment of gliomas. It will give an overview of the factors involved in patient selection for different tumour grades and describe the typical radiotherapy planning and treatment pathway.
The potential acute and long-term toxicity from radiotherapy to the brain will be addressed and appropriate management and support for patient undergoing treatment described.
KeywordsRadiotherapy Glioma treatment Brain tumour treatments Concomitant RT Adjuvant RT Radiotherapy side effects
- 4.Ncri.org. Clinical and translational radiotherapy research working group (CTRad) Proton beam therapy – information for a lay audience [Internet]. 2016. http://ctrad.ncri.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/CTRad-PBT-consumer-information-Jan-2016.pdf. Accessed 29 Oct 2017.
- 7.Kleihues P, Cavenee WK, editors. World Health Organisation classification of tumours, pathology and genetics of tumours of the nervous system. Lyon: IARC Press International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Van den Bent MJ, Baumert B, Erridge S, et al. Interim results from the CATNON trial (EORTC study 26053–22054) of treatment with concurrent and adjuvant temozolomide for 1p/19q non-co-deleted anaplastic glioma: a phase 3, randomised, open-label intergroup study. Lancet. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140–6736(17)31442–3.
- 11.Karim AB, Afra D, Cornu P, et al. Randomized trial on the efficacy of radiotherapy for cerebral low-grade glioma in the adult: European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Study 22845 with the Medical Research Council study BRO4: an interim analysis. Int J Rad Oncol Biol Phys. 2002;52(2):316–24.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Nih.gov. Common terminology criteria for adverse events (CTCAE) V4.03 [Internet]. 2010. https://evs.nci.nih.gov/ftp1/CTCAE/CTCAE_4.03_2010-06-14_QuickReference_5x7.pdf. Accessed 29 Oct 2017.
- 17.Society and College of Radiographers. Skin care advice for patients undergoing radical external beam megavoltage radiotherapy. SCoR professional document [Internet]. 2015. https://www.sor.org/learning/document-library/skin-care-advice-patients-undergoing-radical-external-beam-megavoltage-radiotherapy-0. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.