Population Health Reporting
This chapter describes the various activities involved in population health reporting, also known as public health reporting or community health reporting. These activities take place within the knowledge level of the DIKW pyramid. The activities in the first two levels of the DIKW pyramid were discussed in the previous chapters. Conceptual models and indicators were described in Chap. 3, and aspects of data collection were discussed in Chap. 4. Collecting data and transforming these data into information are essential steps when moving from the data level to the information level. Chap. 5 discusses the analysis, contextualisation, and interpretation of this information, to make the step from information to knowledge. This chapter is about presenting and communicating this knowledge in such a way that it can support policymakers in their decision-making on health policy. First, this chapter discusses the importance of population health reporting and the context in which it takes place. It then describes the main quality aspects of good population health reporting. The chapter finishes with a short description of the range of expertise involved and with relevant future developments in this domain.
KeywordsPublic health reporting Community health report Quality criteria Policy impact Data visualisation Communication Marketing
- Booms, B., & Bitner, M. J. (1981). Marketing Strategies and Organizational Structures for Service Firms. In J. H. Donnelly & W. R. George (Eds.), Marketing of Services (pp. 47–51). Chicago: American Marketing Association.Google Scholar
- Brand, H., & Cornelius-Taylor, B. (2003). Evaluation of National and Regional Public Health Reports (Eva PHR). Final report to the European Commission. Bielefeld: Institute of Public Health Nordrhein Westfalen (LOEGD). http://www.pia-phr.nrw.de/Eva_Final_Report.pdf. Accessed 26 Sept 2017.
- Brand, H., Cornelius-Taylor, B., et al. (2008). Evaluation von Gesundheidsberichten in Europa. Prävention, 03, 75–78.Google Scholar
- Brand, H., & Michelsen, K., et al. (2009). Policy Impact Assessment of Public Health Reporting (PIA PHR). Final report. Bielefeld: Institute of Health and Work NRW, Center for Public Health.. http://www.pia-phr.nrw.de/downloads/PIAPHRFinalReport010209.pdf. Accessed 16 Sept 2017.
- Brownson, R. C., Fielding, J. E., & Maylahn, C. M. (2009). Evidence-based public health: A fundamental concept for public health practice. Annual Review of Public Health, 30, 175–201. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.031308.100134.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Cairo, A. (2013). The functional art. An introduction to information graphics and visualization. Berkeley: New Riders.Google Scholar
- de Goede, J., Putters, K., van der Grinten, T., & van Oers, H. A. (2010). Knowledge in process? Exploring barriers between epidemiological research and local health policy development. Health Research Policy and Systems, 8, 26. https://doi.org/10.1186/1478-4505-8-26.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- DeBold, T., & Friedman, D. (2015). Battling infectious diseases in the 20th century: The impact of vaccines. Wall Street Journal. http://graphics.wsj.com/infectious-diseases-and-vaccines/. Accessed 6 Oct 2017.
- EUPHA. (2017). Public Health Monitoring and Reporting. European Public Health Association (EUPHA). https://eupha.org/public-health-monitoring-and-reporting. Accessed 17 Sept 2017.
- Gapminder. (2017). About Gapminder. https://www.gapminder.org/about-gapminder/press-and-media/. Accessed 16 Sept 2017.
- Hegger, I., Kok, M. O., Janssen, S. W. J., Schuit, A. J., & van Oers, H. A. M. (2016). Contributions of knowledge products to health policy: A case study on the public health status and forecasts report 2010. European Journal of Public Health, 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckw097.CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Hoeijmakers, M. (2005). Local health policy development processes. Health promotion and network perspectives on local health policy-making in the Netherlands [thesis]. Maastricht: Maastricht University. https://cris.maastrichtuniversity.nl/portal/files/1372827/guid-612619e8-95cc-4c3f-81a8-d60c3ac8776c-ASSET1.0. Accessed 17 Sept 2017.
- Kingdon, J. W. (1984). Agendas, alternatives and public policies. Boston: Little, Brown.Google Scholar
- Lavis, J. N., Oxman, A. D., Lewin, S., & Fretheim, A. (2009). Support tools for evidence-informed health policymaking (STP) 14: Organising and using policy dialogues to support evidence-informed policymaking. Health Research Policy and Systems, 7(Suppl I), S14. https://doi.org/10.1186/1478-4505-7-S1-S3.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Muir Gray, J. A. (2009). Evidence-based healthcare and public health: how to make decisions about health services and public health. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Myers, S., & Stoto, M. A. (2006). Criteria for assessing the usefulness of community health assessments. A literature review. Santa Monica, RAND Corporation. https://www.rand.org/pubs/technical_reports/TR314.readonline.html. Accessed 16 Sept 2017.
- Nutley, S. (2003). Bridging the policy/research divide. Reflections and Lessons from the UK. Keynote paper presented at “Facing the Future: Engaging stakeholders and citizens in developing public policy”. National Institute of Governance Conference, Canberra, Australia 23/24 April. http://www.ruru.ac.uk/pdf/Bridging%20Research%20Policy%20Divide.pdf. Accessed 16 Sept 2017.
- Oxman, A. D., Lavis, J. N., Lewin, S., & Fretheim, A. (2009). Support tools for evidence-informed health policymaking (STP) 1: What is evidence-informed policymaking? Health Research Policy and Systems, 7(Suppl I), S1. https://doi.org/10.1186/1478-4505-7-S1-S1.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Rosén, M. (1998). Critical factors for effective health reporting. Health reporting in the European Union. Summary and Proceedings of a workshop organised by the RIVM in Bilthoven on 19–20 February 1998. Achterberg PW, Kramers PGN. Bilthoven, RIVM:63–64. [Full report available from editors].Google Scholar
- Rosenkötter, N., Achterberg, P. W., van Bon-Martens, M. J., Michelsen, K., van Oers, H. A., & Brand, H. (2016). Key features of an EU health information system – A concept mapping study. European Journal of Public Health, 26(1), 65–70. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckv075 Epub 2015 May 4.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- van Bon-Martens, M. J. H. (2011).The art of regional public health reporting. Strengthening the knowledge base for local public health policy [thesis]. Departement Tranzo, Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences. Tilburg: Tilburg University. https://pure.uvt.nl/ws/files/1333805/Bon-Martens_The_art_17-06-2011.pdf. Accessed 16 Sept 2017.
- van Bon-Martens, M. J. H., van de Goor, L. A. M., Achterberg, P. W., & van Oers, J. A. M. (2011). The development of an empirical model for regional public health reporting. A descriptive study in two Dutch pilot regions. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, 39(6), 608–617. https://doi.org/10.1177/1403494811414248.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- van Bon-Martens, M. J. H., Achterberg, P. W., van de Goor, I. A., & van Oers, H. A. (2012). Towards quality criteria for regional public health reporting: Concept mapping with Dutch experts. European Journal of Public Health, 22(3), 337–342. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckr016.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- van Egmond, S. (2010). Science and Policy in Interaction. On practices of science policy interactions for policy-making in health care. Thesis Erasmus University, Rotterdam. https://repub.eur.nl/pub/22194. Accessed 16 Sept 2107.
- van Oers, J. A. M., van Bon-Martens, M., & Dullemeijer, C. (2017). Support priority setting: From information to knowledge and policy support. In A. Haveman-Nies, M. Jansen, J. A. M. Van Oers, & P. Van’t Veer (Eds.), Epidemiology in public health practice. https://doi.org/10.3920/978-90-8686-848-3.Google Scholar
- Brand, H., & Cornelius-Taylor, B. (2003b). Evaluation of National and Regional Public Health Reports (Eva PHR). Final report to the European Commission. Bielefeld: Institute of Public Health Nordrhein Westfalen (LOEGD). http://www.pia-phr.nrw.de/Eva_Final_Report.pdf.
- Brand et al. (2009b). Impact Assessment of Public Health Reporting (PIA PHR). Final report. Bielefeld, Institute of Health and Work NRW, Center for Public Health Policy. http://www.pia-phr.nrw.de/downloads/PIAPHRFinalReport010209.pdf.
- Good Practice in Health Reporting – guidelines and recommendations. (2017). Robert Koch Institute. Journal of Health Monitoring. 2(S1). https://doi.org/10.17886/RKI-GBE-2017-013.
- Hegger, I. (2017). Research for policy: A study on improving the contribution of scientific knowledge to evidence-informed health policy [thesis]. Enschede: Gildeprint. https://pure.uvt.nl/portal/en/publications/research-for-policy(2584ada7-1c66-4242-a74f-97df73c191f8).html. Accessed 22 Sept 2017.