This introductory chapter introduces the new research field of music and public health and its history especially in the Nordic countries. The book is divided into three parts: (1) epidemiological research in music and public health in the Nordic countries, comprising three chapters; (2) empirical studies as a basis for theories on music and public health, comprising five chapters; and (3) music as a prophylactic resource – examples of projects and initiatives, comprising five chapters. Each part and the included chapters are introduced briefly.
KeywordsMusic Public health Epidemiology Prophylaxis Psychophysiological reactions Health musicking
- Bojner Horwitz, E., Hogstedt, C., Wistén, P., & Theorell, T. (Eds.). (2015). Kultur & Folkhälsa: Antologi om forskning och praktik. Stockholm: Tolvnitton Förlag.Google Scholar
- Bonde, L. O. (2011). Health Musicing - Music Therapy or Music and Health? A model, empirical examples and personal reflections. Music and Arts in Action, 3(2), 120–140. Retrieved from http://musicandartsinaction.net/index.php/maia/article/view/healthmusicingmodel.
- Bradt, J., Dileo, C. & Shim, M. (2013). Music interventions for preoperative anxiety. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 6. Art. No.: CD006908. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006908.pub2.
- Hanser, S. & Mandel, S. (2010). Manage Your Stress and Pain Through Music. Milwaukee: Berklee Press Publications.Google Scholar
- Kamioka, H., Tsutani, K., Yamada, M., Park, H., Okuizumi, H., Tsuruoka, K., et al. (2014). Effectiveness of music therapy: A summary of systematic reviews based on randomized controlled trials of music interventions. Patient Preference and Adherence, 8, 727–754. https://doi.org/10.2147/PPA.S61340.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Li, H.-C., Wang, H.-H., Chou, F.-H., & Chen, K.-M. (2015). The effect of music therapy on cognitive functioning among older adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 16(1), 71–77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2014.10.004.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Stige, B. (2002). Culture-Centered Music Therapy. Gilsum NH: Barcelona Publishers.Google Scholar
- Stige, B., & Aarø, L. E. (2012). Invitation to community music therapy. New York NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Sifneos, P. E. (1996). Alexithymia: past and present. American Journal of Psychiatry, 153 (Suppl. 7), 137–14.Google Scholar
- Theorell, T., & Kreutz, G. (2012). Epidemiological studies of the relationship between musical experiences and public health. In R. A. R. MacDonald, G. Kreutz, & L. Mitchell (Eds.), Music, health, and wellbeing (pp. 424–435). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar