Suppressing the Mosquitoes’ Coughs: An Introduction to Holy Envy
This chapter opens the volume by introducing Krister Stendahl’s call to “always leave room for holy envy” in the face of interreligious encounters. In so doing, Gustafson provides examples of holy envy from his own experience. These include the Jewish mourning tradition of Shiva, a reflection on Daoism’s principle of wu wei (non-doing), and a reflection from Rabbi Anson Laytner on Chinese Judaism in China. This chapter also introduces the chapters in this volume, their authors, and their foci.
- Boys, Mary C. 1997. Jewish-Christian Dialogue: One Woman’s Experience. New York: Paulist Press.Google Scholar
- Dao De Ching (translations)Google Scholar
- A Source Book in Chinese Philosophy. Translated by Wing-Tsit Chan. Princeton: Princeton UP, 1969.Google Scholar
- Lao Tzu: Tao Te Ching. 1963. Trans. D.C. Lau. New York: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Tao Teh Ching. 1989. Trans. John C.H. Wu. Boston: Shambala.Google Scholar
- Te-Tao Ching. 1993. Trans. Robert Hendricks. New York: Modern Library.Google Scholar
- Heschel, Susannah. 2011a. From Rabbi to Nazi: The Vicissitudes of Jesus in Modern Theology. The Krister Stendahl Memorial Lecture. Stockholm: Sweden.Google Scholar
- ———. 2011b. Problems of Identity: Judaism and Christianity in the Modern European Context. Lecture. Skálholt: Iceland.Google Scholar
- Landau, Yehezkel. 2007. An Interview with Krister Stendahl. Harvard Divinity Bulletin 35(1), Winter. https://bulletin.hds.harvard.edu/articles/winter2007/interview-krister-stendahl. Accessed 21 Sept 2017.
- Laytner, Anson. 2015. Jews, God and Theodicy. In Religious Identity and Renewal in the Twenty-First Century: Jewish, Christian and Muslim Explorations, ed. Simone Sinn and Michael Reid Trice, 37–54. Leipzig: Evangelische Verlagsanstalt.Google Scholar
- Nickelsburg, George W.E. 1986. Preface. In Christians Among Jews and Gentiles: Essays in Honor of Krister Stendahl on His Sixty-Fifth Birthday, ed. George W.E. Nickelsburg and George W. MacRae. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.Google Scholar
- Stendahl, Krister. 1993. From God’s Perspective We Are All Minorities. Journal of Religious Pluralism 2: 1–13.Google Scholar
- ———. 2007. Why I Love the Bible. Harvard Divinity Bulletin 35(1), Winter. https://bulletin.hds.harvard.edu/articles/winter2007/why-i-love-bible. Accessed 21 Sept 2017.
- Svartvik, Jesper. 2009. In Memory of Krister Stendahl on His Idea of “Holy Envy”. Lecture. Jerusalem: Hartman Institute.Google Scholar
- Trice, Michael Reid. 2015. The Future of Religious Identity: A Spirit of Generosity. In Religious Identity and Renewal in the Twenty-First Century: Jewish, Christian and Muslim Explorations, ed. Simone Sinn and Michael Reid Trice, 19–36. Leipzig: Evangelische Verlagsanstalt.Google Scholar