Place-Based Policy-Making and Community Security: A Decision Support System for Integrated Planning of Urban Ecosystem Services and Disservices
The objective of the work is to implement a model based on Geographic Information System (GIS) to develop best-management strategies for urban trees. In the model, various objectives, such as the maximization of population security and the optimization of intervention on trees (i.e., economic improvement of Visual Tree Assessment and pruning operation), are considered. The Decision Support System (DSS) uses dynamic simulation able to take into account annual growth of single plants, as well as annual budgets devoted to green urban care by a local administration. The intervention priority concerning trees was based on a model that evaluates two opposing lines of services/disservices: the first is the potential value of single trees and green areas for recreational aspects based on a multicriteria approach to merge various indicators; the second is represented by the probability of falling trees and branches that can cause damage to people, vehicles and buildings, as well as other facilities. Cascine’s Park in the city of Florence (Italy) was selected as study area. Results highlight the priority of intervention over a period of five years and their spatial distribution. The main strengths, as well as the weaknesses of the model, are also addressed in the paper. In particular, economic and managerial benefits in case of DSS’ application are stressed.
KeywordsUrban green management Landscape perception Trade-off evaluation Complex system analysis Economic planning
- Boyer, D. J., Roman, L. A., Henning, J. G., McFarland, M., Dentice, D., Low, S. C., et al. (2016). Data management for urban tree monitoring—Software requirements. Azavea, Philadelphia, PA. 124 p. Available online at http://azavea.com/research/urban-tree-monitoring/.
- Coder, K. D. (1996). Tree growth rate table: Annual percentage growth. Accessed at: https://urbanforestrysouth.org/resources/library/citations/tree-growth-rate-table-annual-percentage-growth [07/10/2016].
- Florence Municipality. (2016). Open data of Florence municipality. Available online at: http://opendata.comune.fi.it/index.html.
- Frank, S., Waters, G., Beer, R., & May, P. (2006). An analysis of the street tree population of greater Melbourne at the beginning of the 21st century. Arboriculture and Urban Forestry, 32(4), 155–163.Google Scholar
- Google. (2016). Street view service. Available online at: http://maps.google.it.
- Likert, R. (1932). A technique for the measurement of attitudes. Archives of Psychology, 140, 1–55.Google Scholar
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. (2005). Ecosystems and human well being: Current state and trends. Washington, DC: World Resources Institute.Google Scholar