Nutrition Support in Postoperative Cardiac of Adult Cardiac Surgery Patients
Malnutrition is a major morbidity and mortality risk factor in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. Also the risk of malnutrition in post cardiac surgery ICU is estimated be more than 50% of admitted cases. Strategies to combat malnutrition in these patients should be included by routine screening of nutritional status prior to surgery and conditioning nutritional therapy in malnourished patients before surgery. Applying ERAS (Early Recovery After Surgery) protocols in order to optimizing timing of the pre-surgical fasting and re-starting feeding after surgery would be an important step in medical nutrition therapy in cardiac surgery patients. Our aim is to reduce both these timings. Recent scientific evidences have been showing the importance of providing extra micronutrients in this group of patients. Making sure to achieve the growth mile stones in pediatric patients is another issue we should take into consideration in nutritional management of cardiac surgery patients.
KeywordsMalnutrition in cardiac surgery patients Nutritional status screening Medical nutrition therapy and nutritional support protocols Medical nutrition therapy in pediatrics cardiac surgery
- Koletzko B, Goulet O, Hunt J, Krohn K, Shamir R. Guidelines on paediatric parenteral nutrition of the European Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (ESPGHAN) and the European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism (ESPEN), supported by the European Society of Paediatric Research (ESPR). J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2005;41(S2):1–87.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ohkuma RE, Crawford TC, Brown PM, Grimm JC, Magruder JT, Kilic A, Suarez-Pierre A, Snyder S, Wood JD, Schneider E, Sussman MS, Whitman GJ. A novel risk score to predict the need for nutrition support after cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;18:30425–3.Google Scholar
- Population Statistics 2005, Part 3. Official Statistics of Sweden, Statistics Sweden 2006.Google Scholar
- Stoppe C, Goetzenich A, Whitmann G, Ohkuma R, Brown T, Hatzakorzian R, Kristof A, Meybohm P, Mechanick J, Evans A, Yeh D, McDonald B, Choudrakis M, Jones P, Barton R, Tripathi R, Elke G, Liakopoulos O, Agarwala R, Lomivorotov V, Marx G, Benstoem C, Lemieux M, Heyland DK. Role of nutrition support in adult cardiac surgery: a consensus statement from an international multidisciplinary expert group on nutrition in cardiac surgery. Crit Care. 2017;21:131.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Vichayavilas PE, Skillman HE, Krebs NF. Nutrition in congenital heart disease: challenges, guidelines and nutritional support. Paed Congen Cardiol Card Surg Inten Care. 2013;169:3201–12.Google Scholar