Seismic Design of Foundations in Difficult Soil Conditions: Examples of Solutions
The development of large civil engineering projects in active seismic areas often face the challenge of designing foundations that must sustain large seismic forces while preserving the functionality of the superstructure. The natural solution for such foundations seems to lie in the adoption of piles. However, end bearing piles are not always feasible and piled foundations are also subject to adverse effects which may not make them so attractive. Recent projects have shown that alternative, often innovative solutions, may lie in a combination of solutions coupling at least two of the following elements: shallow foundation, soil improvement, caissons, piles, etc…
The lecture details the pros and cons of the “classical” foundation solutions and illustrate on actual projects how combination of solutions may advantageously get rid of adverse effects while still providing a safe design and preserving constructability of the foundations.
The author takes the opportunity of this paper to thank all the contractors, Vinci, Entrepose Contracting, Solétanche–Bachy, EDF for involving him in these fascinating and innovative projects.
- AASHTO (2016) LRFD bridge – design specifications. American Association of State Highway and Transportation Ofiicials, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Benhamou L, Mathieu F, (2012) Geomix Caissons against Liquefaction. In: Proceedings of the international symposium on ground improvement ISSMGE–TC 211, 31 May–1 June, Brussels, BelgiumGoogle Scholar
- CEN. European Standard EN 1998–5 (2004) Eurocode 8: design of structures for earthquake resistance. Part 5: foundations, retaining structures, geotechnical aspects. Comité Européen de Normalisation, BrusselsGoogle Scholar
- Davidovici V, Despeyroux J, Duretz C, Etchepare B, Pecker A, Sollogoub P (1985) Le sÕisme du Mexique du 19 Spetembre 1985, Compte Rendu de Mission, AFPSGoogle Scholar
- Joly E, Agostini L, Lhuissier S, Decoux G (2017) Troisième Traversée sur le Canal de Panama: des viaducts sur tous les fronts. Revue Travaux 936:36–43Google Scholar
- Pecker A (1998) Capacity design principles for shallow foundations in seismic areas. Keynote Lecture. In: Bisch P, Labbé P, Pecker A (eds) Proceedings 11th european conference on earthquake engineering, Balkema, Rotterdam, pp 303–315Google Scholar
- Pecker A (2006) Design and construction of the Rion Antirion bridge foundations. International symposium on sea crossing long span bridges, 15–17 February, Mokpo, KoreaGoogle Scholar
- Pich B, Mauris G, Gogny E, Cheikh–Mhamed A, Jakobsen SE (2017) Pont Suspendu de Chacao au Chili. Revue Travaux 936:76–81Google Scholar
- Steenfelt JS, Foged B, Augustesen AH (2015) Izmit Bay bridge: geotechnical challenges and innovative solutions. Int Bridg Eng 3(3):53–68Google Scholar