Building Teal Organizations with Servant Leadership?
Vibrant as servant leadership is, it is important to assess how well it is keeping up with the latest organizational developments. In the chapter Frederic Laloux’s recent model of organizational development is used to evaluate where servant leadership stands. By comparing the characteristics of servant leadership to the breakthroughs of different organizational paradigms (Orange, Green, and Teal), an attempt is made to position servant leadership in Laloux’s model and examine whether it has any affinities with the emerging Teal paradigm.
KeywordsOrganizational development Teal organization Empowerment Shared leadership Self-management Wholeness
- Asag-Gau, L., and D. van Dierendonck. 2011. The Impact of Servant Leadership on Organisational Commitment among the Highly Talented: The Role of Challenging Work Conditions and Psychological Empowerment. European Journal of International Management 5: 463–483.Google Scholar
- Autry, J.A. 2001. The Servant Leader: How to Build a Creative Team, Develop Great Morale, and Improve Bottom-Line Performance. New York: Three Rivers Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2007. Becoming a Servant Leader: Do You Have What It Takes? University of Nebraska. https://www.essr.net/~jafundo/mestrado_material_itgjkhnld/IV/Lideran%C3%A7as/Servant%20leadership.pdf. Accessed 30 May 2017.
- Beaver, S.R.O. 2008. Second Fiddle? An Interpretive Study of Followers of Servant Leaders. PhD dissertation, Iowa State University.Google Scholar
- Blanchard, K. 2001. Servant-Leadership Revisited. The Ken Blanchard Companies. https://svdpusa.org/Portals/1/Servant-Leadership%20Revisited.pdf. Accessed 25 May 2017.
- Focht, A., and M. Ponton. 2015. Identifying Primary Characteristics of Servant Leadership: Delphi Study. International Journal of Leadership Studies 9: 44–61.Google Scholar
- Greenleaf, R.K. 1986. The Leadership Crisis: A Message for College and University Faculty. Westfield: Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership.Google Scholar
- ———. 1988. Spirituality as Leadership. Newton Centre: The Robert K. Greenleaf Center.Google Scholar
- ———. 2002. Servant Leadership: A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power & Greatness, ed. L. Spears. New York: Paulist Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2008. The Servant as Leader. Westfield: Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership.Google Scholar
- ———. 2013. Servant: Retrospect and Prospect. Westfield: Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership.Google Scholar
- Hoch, J.E., W.H. Bommer, J.H. Dulebohn, and D. Wu. 2016. Do Ethical, Authentic, and Servant Leadership Explain Variance Above and Beyond Transformational Leadership? A Meta-Analysis. Journal of Management. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0149206316665461. Accessed 26 May 2017.
- Irving, J.A., and G.J. Longbotham. 2007. Team Effectiveness and Six Essential Servant Leadership Themes: A Regression Model Based on Items in the Organizational Leadership Assessment. International Journal of Leadership Studies 2: 98–113.Google Scholar
- Keith, K.M. 2008. The Case for Servant Leadership. Westfield: Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership.Google Scholar
- Khan, K.E., S.E. Khan, and A.G. Chaudhry. 2015. Impact of Servant Leadership on Workplace Spirituality: Moderating Role of Involvement Culture. Pakistan Journal of Science 67: 109–113.Google Scholar
- Laloux, F. 2014. Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness. Brussels: Nelson Parker.Google Scholar
- Laub, J.A. 1999. Assessing the Servant Organization Development of the Servant Organizational Leadership Assessment (SOLA) Instrument. PhD dissertation, Florida Atlantic University.Google Scholar
- Laub, J. 2003. From Paternalism to the Servant Organization: Expanding the Organizational Leadership Assessment (OLA) Model. Servant Leadership Research Roundtable, Regent University, August. https://www.regent.edu/acad/global/publications/sl_proceedings/2003/laub_from_paternalism.pdf. Accessed 31 May 2017.
- McGee-Cooper, A., and D. Trammell. 2002. From Hero-as-Leader to Servant-as-Leader. In Focus on Leadership: Servant-Leadership for the 21st Century, ed. L.C. Spears and M. Lawrence, 141–151. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- ———. 2009. Accountability as Covenant: The Taproot of Servant Leadership. Ann McGee-Cooper & Associates. http://amca.com/amca/wp-content/uploads/Accountability-as-Covenant-2014.pdf. Accessed 19 May 2017.
- ———. 2010. Servant Leadership Learning Communities®: Incubators for Great Places to Work. In Servant Leadership: Developments in Theory and Research, ed. D. van Dierendonck and K. Patterson, 130–144. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Page, D., and P.T.P. Wong. 2000. A Conceptual Framework for Measuring Servant-Leadership. ResearchGate. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/242232213. Accessed 27 May 2017.
- Patterson, K. 2003. Servant Leadership: A Theoretical Model. PhD dissertation, Regent University.Google Scholar
- Pearce, C.L. 2004. The Future of Leadership: Combining Vertical and Shared Leadership to Transform Knowledge Work. Academy of Management Executive 18: 47–57.Google Scholar
- Robertson, B.J. 2015. Holacracy: The Revolutionary Management System that Abolishes Hierarchy. London: Portfolio Penguin.Google Scholar
- Spears, L.C. 2010. Servant Leadership and Robert K. Greenleaf’s Legacy. In Servant Leadership: Developments in Theory and Research, ed. D. van Dierendonck and K. Patterson, 11–24. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Tang, G., H.K. Kwan, D. Zhang, and Z. Zhu. 2016. Work–Family Effects of Servant Leadership: The Roles of Emotional Exhaustion and Personal Learning. Journal of Business Ethics 137: 285–297.Google Scholar
- Walker, J. 2003. A New Call to Stewardship and Servant Leadership. Nonprofit World 21: 25.Google Scholar
- Wheatley, M. 2004. Servant Leaders. Executive Excellence 21: 15–16.Google Scholar
- Wong, P.T.P., and D. Page. 2003. Servant Leadership: An Opponent-Process Model and the Revised Servant Leadership Profile. Paper presented at the Servant Leadership Roundtable, October. http://www.drpaulwong.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Wong-Servant-Leadership-An-Opponent-Process-Model.pdf. Accessed 12 Apr 2017.