The Buzz About Restoring Mother Nature at the Urban Core
The environmental justice approach to restoring the urban core envelopes the needs of minorities, including Native American Indians and indigenous peoples, and low-income populations with these and other problematic socioeconomic conditions that impact public health. This chapter provides an overview of existing environmental regulation in the United States indicating two primary objectives: (1) to protect environmental and population health and (2) to identify and remediate the adverse effects of various enacted legislation and programs on minority and low-income populations. This chapter suggests best practices identified in transitioning urban ecosystems in the metropolitan District of Columbia encompassing the area surrounding the United States national capitol. Further recommendations suggest that including the provisions of the Clinton Administration Executive Order 12898 stipulating federal actions to address environmental justice in minority and low-income populations in all policy as intended can improve upon current health and income disparities.
KeywordsEcosystem services Ecological restoration Urban restoration Conservation planning Regenerative design Environmental justice Urban health
Release of carbon by burning wood and other organic matter as fuel
Repurposed land in the U.S. previously used for industrial/commercial business with poor soil, potentially hazardous soil and other natural resource conditions, and environmental pollutants
The record of decisions and supporting information for treatment of a unit of land meeting planning criteria for one or more identified natural resource concerns because of the planning process; the plan describes the schedule of implementation for practices and activities needed to solve identified natural resource concerns and takes advantage of opportunities (USDA n.d., para 1)
One of several ecosystem services; often referred to as the nonmaterial or aesthetic benefits derived from surrounding culture, a sense of belonging, or ethereal experience from nature (FAO 2017)
One of several ecosystem services; a variance in temperature and humidity experienced locally when compared to surrounding areas such as a city compared to neighboring suburbs
Smaller sector of a larger group; the smaller portion of Native Americans, Hispanics, and African Americans in the U.S. population compared to Caucasians
An ecosystem process in which biological, chemical, and geological activity in the environment help to recycle elements essential to life such as carbon, hydrogen, calcium, phosphorus, and nitrogen
Instead of just restoring damage, this approach focuses on improving environmental conditions to promote nutrient cycling and other ecosystem services that support life
Several factors contribute to soil formation including the breakdown of rock (parent material) over time, climatic conditions, various organisms, and area landscape; also known as pedogenesis
The interaction of various elements within a densely populated area such as a city or large metropolitan area (https://www.britannica.com/science/urban-ecosystem)
One of several ecosystem services; process where rain or melting snow moves through gaps and other shallow openings in top soil to provide moisture or through sediment to replenish groundwater sources
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. 2016 National healthcare quality and disparities report, AHRQ Pub. No. 17-0001. Rockville: AHRQ; 2017.Google Scholar
- Ahern JF. Novel urban ecosystems: concepts, definitions and a strategy to support urban sustainability and resilience. Landscape Architecture & Regional Planning Faculty Publication Series, 66. Landscape Archit Front. 2016;4(1):10–21. http://scholarworks.umass.edu/larp_faculty_pubs/66 Google Scholar
- Anacostia Watershed Society. Wetland restoration. 2017. http://www.anacostiaws.org/programs/stewardship/native-plant-restoration/wetland-restoration. Accessed 16 Oct 2017.
- Anacostia Watershed Society. A waterway to 2025: a vision for the Anacostia river. n.d.. http://www.anacostiaws.org/userfiles/file/A%20Waterway%20to%202025%20brochure-WEB.pdf. Accessed 17 Oct 2017.
- Beckles GL, Truman BI. Education and income—United States, 2005 and 2009, p. 13–17. In: United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (2011) CDC health disparities and inequalities Report —United States, 2011. MMWR, 60(Suppl):1–114.Google Scholar
- Beldin S, Perakis S. Unearthing secrets of the forest, fact sheet 2009-3078. https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2009/3078/. 2009. Accessed 23 Oct 2017.
- Boada M, Maneja R (2016) Cities are ecosystem: urban green governance increases the quality of life and protects vital services. http://www.unep.org/ourplanet/october-2016/articles/cities-are-ecosystems. Accessed 12 Oct 2017.
- Bonorris S (ed) (2010) Environmental justice for all: a fifty state survey of legislation, policies and cases, 4. Center for State and Local Government Law, UC Hastings College of the Law. San Francisco. http://gov.uchastings.edu/public-law/docs/ejreport-fourthedition.pdf. Accessed 14 Oct 2017.
- Chesapeake Bay (CB) Trust. Strategic plan 2015-2020. 2015. https://cbtrust.org/strategic-plan/ Accessed 20 Oct 2017.
- Conniff R. Rebuilding the natural world: a shift in ecological restoration [Yale Environmental 360]. 2014, March 17. http://e360.yale.edu/features/rebuilding_the_natural_world_a_shift_in_ecological_restoration. Accessed 12 Oct 2017.
- Cooper R. Anacostia River (Things to know about the Anacostia Watershed). [TripSavvy]. 2017, August 7. https://www.tripsavvy.com/anacostia-river-info-1040510. Accessed 15 Oct 2017.
- Cooper R. Anacostia Waterfront in Washington DC. [TripSavvy]. 2016, March 14. https://www.tripsavvy.com/anacostia-waterfront-guide-1040563. Accessed 15 Oct 2017.
- Courtney S. The 11th street bridge park isn’t just a vanity project. [Washingtonian]. 2017, April 17. https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/04/14/11th-street-bridge-park-isnt-just-vanity-project/. Accessed 23 Oct 2017.
- Executive Order 12898 of Feb. 11. 1994 (59 F.R. 7629, Feb. 16, 1994) Federal actions to address environmental justice in minority populations and low-income populations. http://www.dot.ca.gov/ser/vol1/sec1/ch1fedlaw/EO12898.pdf. Accessed 13 Oct 2017.
- Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) of the United Nations. Ecosystem services & biodiversity (ESB). 2017. http://www.fao.org/ecosystem-services-biodiversity/background/cultural-services/en/. Accessed 17 Oct 2017.
- Grêt-Regamey A et al Urban ecosystem services: planning of landscape and urban systems. 2016. https://www.ethz.ch/content/dam/ethz/special-interest/baug/irl/plus-dam/documents/lehrveranstaltungen/msc/landscape-planning-and-environmental-systems/UrbanES.pdf. Accessed 13 Oct 2017.
- Huang A. The 20th anniversary of President Clinton’s Executive Order 12898 on environmental justice. [National Resources Defense Council]. 2014, February 10. https://www.nrdc.org/experts/albert-huang/20th-anniversary-president-clintons-executive-order-12898-environmental-justice. Accessed 14 Oct 2017.
- Jarosz B, Mather, M. Poverty and inequality pervasive in two-fifths of U.S. counties. [Population Reference Bureau]. 2016. http://www.prb.org/Publications/Articles/2016/Poverty-and-Inequality-US-Counties.aspx. Accessed 16 Oct 2017.
- Lambert K. Commitment to environmental justice leads fish and wildlife service to study Anacostia River Fishing. [EPA Blogs]. 2014, August 14. https://blog.epa.gov/blog/2014/08/commitment-to-environmental-justice-leads-fish-and-wildlife-service-to-study-anacostia-river-fishing/. Accessed 17 Oct 2017.
- Major League Baseball, Official Site of Washington Nationals. Green ballpark. 2017. http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=green_ballpark. Accessed 15 Oct 2017.
- Malsang I, Uwimana S. Paris’s urban rooftop hives hope to preserve honeybees. [Phys Org, Science X Network]. 2017, August 4. https://phys.org/news/2017-08-paris-urban-rooftop-hives-honeybees.html . Accessed 13 Oct 2017.
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Green infrastructure project connects human health and environmental health. 2017, April 4. http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2017/04/04/green-infrastructure-project-connects-human-health-and-environmental-health/. Accessed 12 Oct 2017.
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS). Contributions of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences Division of Extramural Research and Training to Environmental Justice: 1998-2012. 2015. http://1.usa.gov/1Ag7E9a. Accessed 13 Oct 2017.
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS). Environmental health disparities and environmental justice. 2016. https://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/supported/translational/justice/index.cfm. Accessed 13 Oct 2017.
- National Institute of Health. Health disparities. 2013. https://report.nih.gov/NIHfactsheets/ViewFactSheet.aspx?csid=124. Accessed 14 Oct 2017.
- National Institute of Minority Health and Health Disparities. NIH health disparities strategic plan and budget fiscal years 2009-2013, extended to FY2016. n.d.. https://nimhd.nih.gov/docs/2009-2013nih_health_disparities_strategic_plan_and_budget.pdf. Accessed 14 Oct 2017.
- National Quality Forum. A roadmap for promoting health equity and eliminating disparities: the four I’s for health equity. 2017. http://www.qualityforum.org/Publications/2017/09/A_Roadmap_for_Promoting_Health_Equity_and_Eliminating_Disparities__The_Four_I_s_for_Health_Equity.aspx. Accessed 12 Oct 2017.
- Ravetz J. Future of the urban environment & ecosystem services in the UK. London: Government Office of Science; 2015. Report No. Working Paper 15. 2015. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/future-of-cities-ecosystem-services. Accessed 13 Oct 2017.
- Semega JL et al Income and poverty in the United States: 2016, P60-259. [Data source: United States Census Bureau]. 2017. https://www.census.gov/library/publications/2017/demo/p60-259.html. Accessed 12 Oct 2017.
- United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). CDC health disparities and inequalities Report—United States, 2011. MMWR Suppl. 2011;60:1–114.Google Scholar
- United States Department of Agriculture Natural Conservation Service Conservation planning: productive lands, healthy environment. n.d.. https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/national/programs/technical/cta/?cid=stelprdb1049425. Accessed 16 Oct 2016.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency. About EPA: Office of Environmental Justice. 2017. [Last update August 28, 2017]. https://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/about-office-enforcement-and-compliance-assurance-oeca#oej. 13 Oct 2017
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Environmental justice homepage. http://www.epa.gov/environmentaljustice/. 2009. Accessed 13 Oct 2017.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). EPA Insight Policy Paper: Executive Order #12898 on Environmental Justice; Statement from EPA Administrator Carol Browner. 1994a. https://www.epa.gov/fedfac/epa-insight-policy-paper-executive-order-12898-environmental-justice. Accessed 13 Oct 2017.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Summary of Executive Order 12898—Federal Actions to Address Environmental Justice in Minority Populations and Low-Income Populations. 1994b. https://www.epa.gov/laws-regulations/summary-executive-order-12898-federal-actions-address-environmental-justice. Accessed 13 Oct 2017.
- United States Geological Survey (USGS) Patuxent Wildlife Research Center and the University of Maryland Department of Biological Resources Engineering. Anacostia freshwater tidal reconstructed wetlands. 2008. https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/resshow/hammerschlag/anacostia.cfm. Accessed 15 Oct 2017.
- Wilson S. Community-based assessment of exposure to substances in the Anacostia River Region (CAESARR). 2014. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-03/documents/sacoby_iwg_presentation_sept_2014.pdf. Accessed 17 Oct 2017.
- Principles of Environmental Justice. First National People of Color Environmental Leadership Summit held on October 24–27. 1991. http://www.ejnet.org/ej/principles.pdf 13 Oct 2017.
- Advancing Science, Serving Society (ASSS). Urban ecosystems. n.d.. http://sciencenetlinks.com/lessons/urban-ecosystems-1/. Accessed 12 Oct 2017.
- Gogal D, et al. EPA policy on environmental justice for tribes and indigenous peoples & ej tools, webinar. Washington, DC: Office of Environmental Justice, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency; 2017, October 19.Google Scholar
- Health Disparities Calculator, Version 1.2.4. Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences. National Cancer Institute: Surveillance Research Program and Healthcare Delivery Research Program; 2013, October 29.Google Scholar
- National Partnership for Action to End Health Disparities. Compendium of publicly available datasets and other data-related resources. 2016. https://www.minorityhealth.hhs.gov/npa/templates/browse.aspx?lvl=1&lvlid=46. Accessed 12 Oct 2017.