To help set the context for this chapter, consider the following clinical situation:
You are in clinic and a young mother comes into the room. She has 3 children with her, aged 2 years, 6 years and 8 years. The 6 year old has just been diagnosed with Crohn’s disease. You are seeing them at clinic to give disease education to her and the child and commence Exclusive Enteral Nutrition (EEN).
How do you approach this?
Differences in disease phenotype in the CYP population
KeywordsInflammatory Bowel Disease Paediatric Adolescent Transition Family-centred care
- Axline VM (2012) Play therapy: the groundbreaking book that has become a vital tool in the growth and development of children. Ballantine Books, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- BMJ Group and Pharmaceutical Press (2014) 6.3.2: Glucocorticoid therapy – prednisolone. British national formulary. BNF 67, March 2014. [Online] Available: http//bnf.org/bnf/index.htm. Accessed 26 April 2017Google Scholar
- Garrick V, Buchanan E, Bishop J, McGrogan P, Russell RKR (2011) Specialist nurse and dietitian care pathway for exclusive enteral nutrition in paediatric Crohn’s disease – a tertiary experience. In: 44th annual meeting of the European Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition held at Hilton Sorrento Palace Hotel on 25th May 2011. Hilton Sorrento Palace Hotel. Sorrento, 25th–28th May 2011. European Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, SorrentoGoogle Scholar
- IBD Standards Group (2013) Standards for the healthcare of people who have inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). [Online] Available: http://www.ibdstandards.org.uk. Accessed 13 Aug 2017
- Mowat C, Cole A, Windsor A, Ahmad T, Arnott I, Driscoll R, Mitton S, Orchard T, Rutter M, Younge L, Lees C, Ho GT, Satsangi J, Bloom S, on behalf of the IBD Section of the British Society of Gastroenterology (2011) Guidelines for the management of inflammatory bowel disease in adults. Gut 60(5):571–607CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- O'Connor M, Bager P, Duncan J, Gaarenstroom J, Younge L, Detre P, Bredin F, Dibley L, Dignass A, Gallego Barrero M, Greveson K, Hamzawi M, Ipenburg N, Keegan D, Martinato M, Murciano Gonzalo F, Pino Donnay S, Price T, Ramirez Morros A, Verwey M, White L, van de Woude CJ (2013) N-ECCO consensus statements on the European nursing roles in caring for patients with Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis. J Crohn’s Colitis 7(9):744–764CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rubio A, Pigneur B, Garnier-Lengliné H, Talbotec C, Schmitz J, Canioni D, Goulet O, Ruemmele FM (2011) The efficacy of exclusive nutritional therapy in paediatric Crohn’s disease, comparing fractionated oral vs. continuous enteral feeding. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 33(12):1332–1339CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Turner D, Levine A, Escher JC, Griffiths AM, Russell RK, Dignass A, Dias JA, Bronsky J, Braegger CP, Cucchiara S, De Ridder L (2012) Management of pediatric ulcerative colitis: joint ECCO and ESPGHAN evidence-based consensus guidelines. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 55(3):340–361CrossRefGoogle Scholar