Changing energy systems also means there will be social and economic changes. Indeed, some see that as both a prerequisite and an aim. Many say that this is the case in Africa, but it may also be the case for other developing countries. This short final chapter reviews some of the issues that have been raised by this book in relation to possible options for technological and policy change, and looks to the future and at the wider political issues of change as the use of renewables spreads.
KeywordsPolitical change The Marshall Plan for Africa Renewable futures
- Abramsky, K. (2010). Another Energy Is Possible: Sparking a World-Wide Energy Revolution. Oakland: AK Press.Google Scholar
- Bast, E., Doukas, A., Pickard, S., van der Burg, L., & Whitley, S. (2015). Empty Promises: G20 Subsidies to Oil, Gas and Coal Production. London: Overseas Development Institute. https://www.odi.org/publications/10058-empty-promises-g20-subsidies-oil-gas-and-coal-production
- BMZ. (2017). Africa and Europe – A New Partnership for Development, Peace and a Better Future. Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development. https://www.bmz.de/en/publications/type_of_publication/information_flyer/information_brochures/Materialie270_africa_marshallplan.pdf
- Dodwell, A., Provost, C., & Shutt, C. (2017). Re-imagining UK Aid. Global Justice Now. http://www.globaljustice.org.uk/sites/default/files/files/resources/re-imagining_uk_aid_webpages.pdf
- Elliott, D. (2015). Green Energy Futures. Basingstoke: Palgrave Pivot.Google Scholar
- Fuso Nerini, F., Tomei, J., To, L.S., Bisaga, I., Parikh, P., Black, M., Borrion, A., Spataru, C., Castán Broto, V., Anandarajah, G., Milligan, B., & Mulugetta, Y. (2017). Mapping Synergies and Trade-offs Between Energy and the Sustainable Development Goals. Nature Energy. Online November 20. http://www.nature.com/articles/s41560-017-0036-5
- Gies, E. (2016, November 2). Can Wind and Solar Fuel Africa’s Future? Nature. https://www.nature.com/news/can-wind-and-solar-fuel-africa-s-future-1.20907-/power
- Gotev, G. (2017, July 6). New Plan for Africa Called ‘Best EU Initiative Ever’. Euractiv. https://www.euractiv.com/section/justice-home-affairs/news/new-plan-for-africa-called-best-eu-initiative-ever/
- Hamouchene, H. (2015, March 1). Desertec: The Renewable Energy Grab? New Internationalist. https://newint.org/features/2015/03/01/desertec-long/
- Hawken, P. (2017). Drawdown: the Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed to Reverse Global Warming. London: Penguin Books. http://www.drawdown.org/the-book
- INforSE. (2017a). Eco-Village Development – NGO Cooperation Project in South Asia. INforSE-Asia, International Network for Sustainable Energy. http://www.inforse.org/asia/EVD.htm
- INforSE. (2017b). Overviews in INforSE’s 25 Year Celebration Issue. International Network for Sustainable Energy. http://inforse.org/doc/SEN81.pdf
- IRENA. (2015a). Africa 2030: Roadmap for a Renewable Energy Future. Abu Dhabi: International Renewable Energy Agency. http://www.irena.org/publications/2015/Oct/Africa-2030-Roadmap-for-a-Renewable-Energy-Future
- IRENA. (2015b). Africa Power Sector: Planning and Prospects for Renewable Energy (Synthesis Report). Abu Dhabi: International Renewable Energy Agency. http://www.irena.org/publications/2015/Mar/Africa-Power-Sector-Planning-and-Prospects-for-Renewable-Energy-synthesis-report
- IRENA. (2017). Renewable Capacity Statistics 2017. Abu Dhabi: International Renewable Energy Agency. http://www.irena.org/publications/2017/Mar/Renewable-Capacity-Statistics-2017
- Jones, L. (2014, August 15). Could Africa Be the Global Epicenter of Renewable Energy by 2030? Renewable Energy World. http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/2014/08/could-africa-be-the-global-epicenter-of-renewable-energy-by-2030.html
- Kapika, J., & Eberhard, A. (2013). Power Sector Reform in Africa. HSRC Press. http://www.hsrcpress.ac.za/product.php?cat=26&productid=2305
- LUT/EWG. (2017). Global Energy System Based on 100% Renewable Energy. Berlin: Lappeenranta University of Technology and Energy Watch Group. http://energywatchgroup.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/FIT-Tender_Fell_PolicyPaper_EN_final.pdf. A Presentation on Sub Saharan Africa is at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320758165_Global_100_RE_System_Sub-Saharan_Africa
- Newell, P., & Bulkeley, H. (2016, May 31). Landscape for Change? International Climate Policy and Energy Transitions: Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa. Climate Policy. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14693062.2016.1173003
- Ockwell, D., & Byrne, R. (2017). Sustainable Energy for All: Innovation, Technology and Pro-Poor Green Transformations. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Ouedraogo, N. (2017). Africa Energy Future: Alternative Scenarios and Their Implications for Sustainable Development Strategies. Energy Policy, 106, 457–471. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421517301684.
- World Bank. (2017). Global Economic Prospects, 2017. Washington, DC: World Bank. http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/ethiopia/overview.