Anesthesia for Aortic Surgery
Diseases of the aorta requiring surgical intervention can be some of the most complex cases the anesthesiologist can be called upon to manage. Many factors influence the anesthetic management of these cases. The anatomic location of the dissection or aneurysm must be considered when planning the type and location of invasive monitors. The surgical plan can require deep hypothermic circulatory arrest (DHCA), single lung ventilation or other specialized techniques. This chapter will briefly review the disease states and surgical treatments of thoracic aortic dissections and aneurysms, followed with the anesthetic management of these cases.
KeywordsAortic aneurysm Aortic rupture Aneurysm, dissection Circulatory arrest, deep hypothermic induced Aortic aneurysm, thoracic Endovascular procedures Intraoperative neurophysiological monitoring
- 1.The Gale encyclopedia of medicine. 3rd ed. Stamford, CT; 2008.Google Scholar
- 5.DeBakey ME, Henly WS, et al. Surgical management of dissecting aneurysms of the aorta. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1965;49:131.Google Scholar
- 6.Miller DC, Stinson EB, et al. Aortic dissections. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1979;78:367.Google Scholar
- 11.Hanke AA, Dellweg C, Schöchl H, Weber CF, Jüttner B, Johanning K, Görlinger K, Rahe-Meyer N, Kienbaum P. Potential of whole blood coagulation reconstitution by desmopressin and fibrinogen under conditions of hypothermia and acidosis—an in vitro study using rotation thrombelastometry. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2011;71:292–8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Sugiura T, Imoto K, Uchida K, Minami T, Yasuda S. Comparative study of brain protection in ascending aorta replacement for acute type A aortic dissection: retrograde cerebral perfusion versus selective antegrade cerebral perfusion. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012;60:645–8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 32.Cooper DM, et al. Bicarbonate does not improve hemodynamics in critically III patients who have lactic acidosis: a prospective, controlled clinical study. AIM. 1990;112:492.Google Scholar
- 34.Edwards MS, Andrews JS, Edwards AF, et al. Results of endovascular aortic aneurysm repair with general, regional, and local/monitored anesthesia care in the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program database. J Vasc Surg. 2011;54:1273–82.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 35.American College of Radiology. ACR appropriate criteria for acute chest pain—suspected aortic dissection. https://acsearch.acr.org/docs/69402/Narrative/.