Building Resilience in Graduates: Addressing Horizontal Violence in the Profession of Nursing
Resilience and workplace adversity are topics that have been broadly explored by disciplines in the social sciences and humanities and often overlooked in the professional education disciplines. From a pragmatic approach, nursing graduates need to identify, understand, and face the complexity of health care and the high likelihood of workplace adversity as they gain professional experience. In this chapter, resilience is reviewed from a critical perspective in order to foster a deeper understanding of the need to empower baccalaureate nursing students through their entry into practice. This chapter will present the nature of resilience as a requirement for nurses facing adversity and having to adapt to the complexity of nursing practice. The personal traits of resilience and the potential it presents to empower nurses to achieve job satisfaction, good health, and well-being are outlined.
- Altmann, T. K. (2006). Preceptor selection, orientation, and evaluation in baccalaureate nursing education. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 3(1), Article 19, 1–15.Google Scholar
- Baltodano, M. P., Darder, A., & Torres, R. D. (2008). The Critical Pedagogy Reader (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Benner, P., Sutphen, M., Leonard, V., & Day, L. (2010). Educating Nurses: A Call for Radical Transformation. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Buresh, B., & Gordon, S. (2000). From Silence to Voice: What Nurses Know and Must Communicate to the Public. Ottawa, ON: Canadian Nurses Association.Google Scholar
- Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing. (2011). Position Statement on the Education of Registered Nurses in Canada. Ottawa, ON. Retrieved from https://www.casn.ca/vm/newvisual/attachments/856/Media/EducationofRNsinCanadaEng.
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. (2017). Jimmy Kimmel Tearfully Recounts Newborn Son’s Heart Surgery. Toronto, ON: CBC/Radio Canada News. Retrieved from http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/jimmy-kimmel-baby-surgery-1.4095059.
- Canadian Nurses Association. (2008). Advanced Nursing Practice: A National Framework. Ottawa, ON. Retrieved from https://www.cna-aiic.ca/~/media/cna/page-content/pdf-en/anp_national_framework_e.pdf.
- Canadian Nurses Association & Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions. (2008). Joint Position Statement—Workplace Violence and Bullying. Ottawa, ON. Retrieved from https://cna-aiic.ca/~/media/cna/page-content/pdf-en/Workplace-Violence-and-Bullying_joint-position-statement.pdf.
- College of Nurses of Ontario. (2014). Competencies for Entry Level Registered Nurse Practice. Toronto, ON. Retrieved from http://www.cno.org/Global/docs/reg/41037_EntryToPracitic_final.pdf.
- College of Nurses of Ontario. (2017). Practice Standard, Therapeutic Nurse-Client Relationship. Toronto, ON. Retrieved from https://www.cno.org/globalassets/docs/prac/41033_therapeutic.pdf.
- Council of Ontario Universities. (2010). Council of Ontario Universities Position Paper on Collaborative Nursing Programs in Ontario. Toronto, ON. Retrieved from http://cou.on.ca/publications/reports/pdfs/cou-position-paper-on-collaborative-nursing-progra.
- Dyess, S. M., & Sherman, R. O. (2009). The first year of practice: New graduate nurses’ transition and learning needs. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 40(9), 403–410. https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20090824-03.
- Fine, S. B. (1991). Resilience and human adaptability: Who rises above adversity? The American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 45(6), 493–503. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.45.6.493.
- Hanson, K., & Meyerson, J. (1995). International challenges to American colleges and universities: Looking ahead. American Council on Education Series on Higher Education. Phoenix, AZ: Oryx Press.Google Scholar
- Kushigian, J. A. (1998). International Studies in the Next Millennium: Meeting the Challenges of Globalization. Westport, CT: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Lennox, S. M., Skinner, J., & Foureur, M. (2008). Mentorship, preceptorship, and clinical supervision: Three key processes for supporting midwives. New Zealand College of Midwives Journal, 39, 7–12.Google Scholar
- McCullough, K. (2016). The Process Involved in International Preceptorship in Undergraduate Nursing Education. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB.Google Scholar
- Myrick, F., & Yonge, O. (2005). Nursing Preceptorship: Connecting Practice and Education. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.Google Scholar
- Nehls, N., Rather, M., & Guyette, M. (1997). The preceptor model of clinical instruction: The lived experiences of students, preceptors, and faculty-of-record. Journal of Nursing Education, 36, 220–227.Google Scholar
- Ogilvie, L., Paul, P., & Burgess-Pinto, E. (2007). International dimensions of higher education in nursing in Canada: Tapping the wisdom of the 20th century while embracing the possibilities for the 21st century. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 4(1), Article 7, 1–22.Google Scholar
- Parker, V., Giles, M., Lantry, G., & McMillan, M. (2014). New graduate nurses’ experiences in their first year of practice. Nurse Education Today, 34(1), 150–156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.07.003.
- Picard, A. (2017). Matters of Life and Death: Public Health Issues in Canada. Toronto, ON: Douglas & McIntyre.Google Scholar
- Pines, E. W., Rauschhuber, M. L., Cook, J. D., Norgan, G. H., Canchola, L., Richardson, C., & Jones, M. E. (2014). Enhancing resilience, empowerment, and conflict management among baccalaureate students: Outcomes of a pilot study. Nurse Educator, 39(2), 85–90. https://doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0000000000000023.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ralph, E. G., Walker, K., & Wimmer, R. (2009). Practicum and clinical experiences: Postpracticum students’ views. Journal of Nursing Education, 48(8), 434–440. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20090518-02.
- Registered Nurses Association of Ontario. (2016). Practice Education in Nursing. Toronto, ON. Retrieved from http://rnao.ca/sites/rnao-ca/files/SHWE_Quick_Reference_Guide_-_WEB_0.pdf.
- Rubin, J. (2009). Why Your World is About to Get A Whole Lot Smaller: Oil and the End of Globalization. Toronto, ON: Random House.Google Scholar
- Tanner, C. A. (2010). Connecting the dots: What’s all the buzz about integrative teaching? Journal of Nursing Education, 46(12), 531–532.Google Scholar