Motivational Interviewing and Health Behavior Change in Individuals with Health Complexity
To review research on the effectiveness of motivational interviewing.
To clarify the importance of strong initial and ongoing training in motivational interviewing.
To define motivational interviewing processes and key skills in managing complex individuals.
KeywordsMotivational interviewing Complex reflections Change talk OARS DARN Engagement Traps for disengagement PACE
- 1.Miller W, Rollnick S. Motivational interviewing: helping people change. New York: The Guifford Press; 2013.Google Scholar
- 2.Arkowitz H, Westra HA, Miller WR, Rollnick S. Motivational interviewing in the treatment of psychological problems. New York: The Guilford Press; 2008.Google Scholar
- 9.Mirkarim K, Kabir MJ, Honarvar MR, Ozouni-Davaji RB, Eri M. Effect of motivational interviewing on weight efficacy lifestyle among women with overweight and obesity: a randomized controlled trial. Iran J Med Sci. 2017;42(2):187–93.Google Scholar
- 10.Oddo V, Gerolamo A, DesRoches CM. Descriptive study of three disability competent managed care plans for medicaid enrollees. In: DHHS, editor. Executive report for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Disability, Aging and Long-Term Care Policy; 2014.Google Scholar
- 11.Brown R. The promise of care coordination: models that decrease hospitalizations and improve outcomes for beneficiaries with chronic illnesses. Princeton, NJ: Mathematica Policy Research; 2009.Google Scholar
- 13.Rollnick S, Miller WR, Butler CC. Motivational interviewing in healthcare: helping patients change behavior. New York: The Guilford Press; 2008.Google Scholar
- 17.Rogers C, Kramer P. On becoming a person: a therapist’s view of psychotherapy. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company; 1961.Google Scholar
- 18.Miller WR, Rollnick S. Motivational interviewing. Preparing people for change. New York: Guilford; 2002.Google Scholar
- 19.Rosengren DB. Building motivational interviewing skills: a practitioner workbook. New York: The Guilford Press; 2009.Google Scholar
- 20.Schumacher JA, Madson MB. Fundamentals of motivational interviewing: tips and strategies for addressing clinical challenges. New York: Oxford University Press; 2015.Google Scholar
- 21.Berger BA, Villaume WA. Motivational interviewing for healthcare professionals: a sensible approach. American Pharmacists Association: Washington, DC; 2013.Google Scholar