Transportation agencies can be viewed as specialized institutions whose mission is to supply transportation facilities and services within defined geographic regions. How well do they accomplish their mission, especially with respect to the choice of worthy transportation projects?
- Acemoglu, D., S. Johnson, and J. Robinson. 2004. Institutions as the Fundamental Cause of Long-Run Growth. NBER Working Paper No. 10481. Washington, DC: NBER.Google Scholar
- Acemoglu, D., and J. Robinson. 2013. Cows, Capitalism and Social Embeddedness. Why Nations Fail, Blog, October. http://whynationsfail.com/blog/2013/10/23/cows-capitalism-and-social-embeddedness.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+whynationsfail+%28Why+Nations+Fail%29.
- Alesina, A., and G. Tabellini. 2004. Bureaucrats or Politicians? National Bureau of Economic Research, Working Paper 10241, Cambridge, Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- Altshuler, A., and D. Luberoff. 2003. Megaprojects: The Changing Politics of Urban Public Investment. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press.Google Scholar
- Berechman, J. 2009. The Evaluation of Transportation Investment Projects. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Berechman, J., and L. Chen. 2011. Incorporating Risk of Cost Overruns into Transportation Capital Projects Decision-Making. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy 45 (1): 83–104.Google Scholar
- Brown, D., G. Hoover, A. Howaston, and J. Schulman. 2005. Canada’s Transportation Infrastructure Challenge: Strengthening the Foundations. Ottawa: The Conference Board of Canada. http://books.google.ca/books/about/Canada_s_Transportation_Infrastructure_C.html?id=MQTTZwEACAAJ&redir_esc=y.
- Coate, S., and B. Knight. 2009. Government Form and Public Spending: Theory and Evidence from U.S. Municipalities. NBER Working Paper No. 14857, Cambridge, Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- Cres, H., I. Gilboa, and N. Vieille. 2012. Bureaucracy in Quest for Feasibility. A Seminar Paper. www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ecs/events/seminar/seminar-papers/10Sep13.pdf.
- Derrick, P., R. Paaswell, and D. Petretta. 2012. Transportation Policy and Politics in New York State. In The Oxford Handbook of New York State Government and Politics. New York and London: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Doig, J. 2001. Empire on the Hudson: Entrepreneurial Vision and Political Power at the Port of New York. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Doig, W. 2012. Should It Take Decades to Build a Subway? Salon, February 4, 2012. http://www.salon.com/2012/02/04/should_it_take_decades_to_build_a_subway/.
- Durkheim, E. 1949 . The Division of Labor in Society. Glencoe, IL: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Evergreen Line. 2013. Decisions on Scope of Evergreen Line Not Fully Informed – Auditor General. (Kelly Sinoski, Vancouver Sun 03.28.2013), The Vancouver Sun, Vancouver, Canada. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/decisions+scope+evergreen+line+fully+informed+auditor+general/8165417/story.html.
- Flyvbjerg, B. 2005. Measuring Inaccuracy in Travel Demand Forecasting: Methodological Considerations Regarding Ramp Up and Sampling. Transportation Research A 39 (6): 522–530.Google Scholar
- ———. 2006. Design by Deception: The Politics of Megaproject Approval. In Urban Planning Today, ed. William S. Saunders, 131–148. Minneapolis and London: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Fu, H., and L. Nie. 2011. Economy and Efficiency Oriented Passenger Flow Organization: Train Stop Scheduling for High-Speed Railways. Journal of Beijing Institute of Technology 20: 79–83.Google Scholar
- Greif, A. 2008. The Impact of Administrative Power on Political and Economic Developments. In Institutions and Economic Performance, ed. E. Helpman. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Hatch, M., and A. Cunliffe. 2006. Organization Theory. 2nd ed. New York and London: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Jones, B., and B. Olken. 2005. Do Leaders Matter? National Leadership and Growth Since World War II. The Quarterly Journal of Economics 120 (3): 835–864.Google Scholar
- Kluger, B. 2012. Improving the Management of Crews in the MTA Long Island Rail Road’s Structural Maintenance Division. http://mtaig.state.ny.us/assets/pdf/12-05.pdf.
- Levinson, D. 2001. Why States Toll – An Empirical Model of Finance Choice. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy 35 (2): 223–238.Google Scholar
- Lim, C. 2013. TransLink Governance Review, A Report. Acuere Consulting Inc. http://www.scribd.com/doc/131890569/TransLink-Governance-Review.
- March, J., and H. Simon. 1958. Organizations. New York: John Wiley and Sons.Google Scholar
- Moss, M., and H. O’Neill. 2014. A Port Authority That Works. New York: Rudin Center for Transportation, The Wagner School, New York University.Google Scholar
- Niskanen, W. 1971. Bureaucracy and Representative Government. New Brunswick, NJ: Aldine Transaction.Google Scholar
- Paaswell, R., and J. Berechman. 2006. Models and Realities: Choosing Transit Projects for New York City (Chap. 5). In Policy Analysis of Transportation Networks, ed. Marina van Geenhuizen, Aura Reggiani, and Piet Rietveld. Farnham: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Plotch, P. 2015. Politics Across the Hudson: The Tappan Zee Megaproject. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.Google Scholar
- Proost, S., F. Dunkerley, S. Van der Loo, N. Adler, J. Brocker, and A. Korzhenevyc. 2010. Do the Selected Trans European Transport Investments Pass the Cost Benefit Test?” Center for Economic Studies (CES), Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium, Discussion Paper 10.02.Google Scholar
- Rork, J. 2009. Yardstick Competition in Toll Revenues: Evidence from US States. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy 43 (1): 123–139.Google Scholar
- Smith, A. 1957 . The Wealth of Nations. New York: Appleton Century Crofts.Google Scholar
- Smith, S. 2012. New York’s MTA Doesn’t Need Any More Money. Bloomberg, October 10, 2012. http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-10/new-york-s-mta-doesn-t-need-any-more-money.html.
- Taylor, F. 1911. The Principles of Scientific Management. New York: Harper.Google Scholar
- Vancouver Sun. 2013. Metro Mayors Want the Keys to TransLink. March 22. http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=59fada0a-e927-44a8-bfb3-61e9150f96de.
- Williamson, O. 1995. Organization Theory: From Chester Barnard to the Present and Beyond. New York and London: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Yandle, B. 1983. Bootleggers and Baptists: The Education of a Regulatory Economist. Regulation 7 (3): 12–17.Google Scholar