Kosovo: The Perspective of a Pro-Arbitration Country
In the early 2000s, Kosovo found itself in a post-conflict environment with a rapidly evolving commercial market. That, accompanied by a dysfunctional and inefficient court system, gave rise to the need for alternative dispute resolution mechanisms. In view of these developments and local courts being consistently regarded as unsuitable to the demands of the market, many benefactors, including the United States government and the European Union, committed to contribute to the establishment of commercial arbitration, as an alternative to local courts. Particularly, the support has been channelled through the adoption of a pro-arbitration legal framework. Thus, Kosovo adopted a stance in support of arbitration through its relatively new arbitration law, which naturally lead towards the establishment of arbitration institutions, and later the outward support for arbitration in investment disputes. These recent developments bring Kosovo in line with an international arbitration mentality, and the country has made a solid resolution to support such a change.
- Gojani A (2010) Kosovo arbitration law: the appointing authority. Leiden Law SchoolGoogle Scholar
- Gojani A (2016) Recognition and enforcement of Kosovo made arbitral awards in New York Convention countries: a comparative study. Kosovo Altern Disput Resol J, Vol II. Available at http://adr-ks.org/site/shenimet/files/5958/journal_of_alternative_dispute_resolution_vol__ii.pdf (last accessed 15 Nov 2017)
- Goldstajn A (1967) Privredno Ugovorno Pravo 55. Informator, ZagrebGoogle Scholar
- Konrad C (2010) Kosovo and Arbitration: The Birth of a New State. Kluwer Arbitration Blog. Available at http://kluwerarbitrationblog.com/2010/11/17/kosovo-and-arbitration-the-birth-of-a-new-state/ (last accessed 15 Nov 2017)
- Muharremi R, Buçaj A (2016) Alternative dispute resolution and the “Kanun”. J Altern Disput Resol Kosovo, Vol II. Available at http://www.adr-ks.org/site/shenimet/files/5958/journal_of_alternative_dispute_resolution_vol__ii.pdf (last accessed 15 Nov 2017).
- Permanent Court of Arbitration Newsletter, Autumn edn (2015). Available at http://www.kosovo-arbitration.com/web/content/779
- Plakolli-Kasumi L (2015) The notion of “Ordre Public”: arbitrability of patent law disputes. Kosovo Altern Disput Resol J, Vol I. Available at http://www.adr-ks.org/site/shenimet/files/5954/vol_1_adr_journal_2015.pdf (last accessed 15 Nov 2017)
- Provisional Institutions of Self-government/Government of Kosovo (2005) Explanatory Note for the draft law on arbitrationGoogle Scholar
- Tweeddale A, Tweeddale K (2010) Incorporation of arbitration clauses revisited. Arbitration 76(4), November, Chartered Institute of ArbitratorsGoogle Scholar
- Zyberi G (2016) Membership in international treaties of contested states: the case of the permanent court of arbitration. Available at http://www.esil-sedi.eu/sites/default/files/ESIL%20Reflection%20ZYBERI%20%2810%20March%202016%20FINAL%29.pdf