Pediatric Nasolacrimal Duct Obstruction
Pediatric (congenital) nasolacrimal duct obstruction (PNLDO) is the most common cause of persistent epiphora in childhood. The incidence of PNLDO is 5–6% (ranging from 1.2 to 30%) of births. Spontaneous resolution is reported in 90% within the first year of life. Our treatments are geared to the 10% of patients that do not experience spontaneous resolution. This chapter discusses the typical presentation of the tearing patient as well as the differential diagnosis. The traditional therapeutic paradigm including primary probing, secondary probing with stent, choice of stent, and dacryocystorhinostomy is discussed with recent data to inform decision-making.
KeywordsPediatric nasolacrimal duct obstruction Nasal lacrimal duct probing Monocanalicular intubation Bicanalicular intubation Balloon dacryoplasty Endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy External dacryocystorhinostomy
- 3.Engel JM, Hatchie-Schmidt C, Khammar A, Ostfeld BM, Vyas A, Ticho BH. Monocanalicular silastic intubation for the initial correction of congenital nasolacrimal duct obstruction. JAAPOS. 2007;11(2):183–6.Google Scholar
- 4.Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group, Repka MX, Melina BM, Beck RW, Atkinson CS, Chandler DL, Holmes JM, Khammar A, Morrison D, Quinn GE, Silbert DI, Ticho BH, Wallace DK, Weakley DR Jr. Primary treatment of nasolacrimal duct obstruction with nasolacrimal duct intubation in children younger than 4 years of age. J AAPOS. 2008;12(5):445–50.CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 5.Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group, Repka MX, Melia BM, Beck RW, Chandler DL, Fishman DR, Goldblum TA, Holmes JM, Perla BD, Quinn GE, Silbert DI, Wallace DK. Primary treatment of nasolacrimal duct obstruction with balloon catheter dilation in children younger than 4 years of age. J AAPOS. 2008;12(5):451–5.CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 6.Repka MX, Chandler DL, Holmes JM, Hoover DL, Morse CL, Schloff S, Silbert DI, Tien DR, Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group. Balloon catheter dilation and nasolacrimal duct intubation for treatment of nasolacrimal duct obstruction after failed probing. Arch Ophthalmol. 2009;127(5):633–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Donahue SP. Relationship between anisometropia, patient age, and the development of amblyopia. AJO. 2006;142(1):132–40.Google Scholar