Estimating the at Risk of Poverty Rate Before and After Social Transfers at Provincial Level in Italy
Considering the local areas where citizens live is fundamental to investigate deprivation and social exclusion, particularly in a period of increasing financial difficulties and reduction of public funding. In this work we estimate the at risk of poverty rate of Italian households before and after social transfers at provincial level. To obtain these estimates we use data coming from the EU-SILC 2013 survey and data coming from the population census and administrative archives in a small area estimation framework, since the design of EU-SILC survey does not allow for reliable direct estimation at provincial level. Our results, besides indicating the essential role of social transfers in the reduction of the at risk of poverty rate, allow a sub-national analysis of the phenomenon of interest that would be lost by using traditional statistical techniques.
KeywordsArea level models Small area estimation EU-SILC
This work is part of the activities of the PO.WE.R. research project, supported by the University of Pisa (PRA 2016).
- 1.Baldini, M., Gallo, G., Reverberi, M., Trapani, A.: Social transfers and poverty in Europe: comparing social exclusion and targeting across welfare regimes. Technical Report No. 91, Department of Economics “Marco Biagi”, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia—WP (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.EC: Social protection performance monitor (SPPM)—methodological report by the indicators sub-group of the social protection committee. Technical Report. European Commission—Social Protection Committee (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Giusti, C., Masserini, L., Pratesi, M.: Local comparisons of small area estimates of poverty: an application within the Tuscany region in Italy. Soc. Indic. Res. (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Giusti, C., Marchetti, S., Pratesi, M., Salvati, N.: Robust small area estimation and oversampling in the estimation of poverty indicators. Surv. Res. Methods 6(3), 155–163 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Hagenaars, A., De Vos, K., Zaidi, M.: Poverty statistics in the late 1980s: research based on micro-data. Technical Report. Luxembourg: Official Pubblication of the European Communities (1994)Google Scholar
- 11.Longford, N., Nicodemo, C.: The contribution of social transfers to the reduction of poverty. Technical Report. IZA Discussion Paper no. 5223 (2010)Google Scholar