China’s Institutional Balancing Strategies for “Multilateral Leadership” in the Asia Pacific
China’s bid for “multilateral leadership” in the Asia Pacific is the first step for China to challenge the US-led international order. This chapter introduces a “prospect-institutional balancing” model to explain how China has utilized two types of institutional balancing strategies to pursue a “multilateral leadership” in the region. Using China’s policies in the Asian Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) and the Conference on Interaction and Confidence-Building Measures in Asia (CICA) as two case studies, the study concludes that China’s institutional challenge to the international order will be more peaceful than widely predicted.
- Alagappa, Muthiah. 2002. The Study of International Order: An Analytical Framework. In Asian Security Order: Instrumental and Normative Features, ed. Muthiah Alagappa. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Anderlini, Jamil. 2014. China Reinvigorates Regional Clubs to Counter Us Power. Financial Times, May 20.Google Scholar
- Barboza, David. 2008. China Plans $586 Billion Economic Stimulus. The New York Times, November 9. Accessed October 31, 2017. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/business/worldbusiness/09iht-yuan.4.17664544.html.
- ———. 2010. China Passes Japan as Second-Largest Economy. The New York Times, August 12. Accessed October 31, 2017. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/16/business/global/16yuan.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0.
- Barkin, Noah, and Elizabeth Piper. 2017. In Davos, Xi Makes Case for Chinese Leadership Role. Reuters, January 18. Accessed October 31, 2017. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-davos-meeting-china-idUSKBN15118V.
- Bergsten, Fred. 2006. Plan B for World Trade: Go Regional. Financial Times, August 16. Accessed October 31, 2017. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f5eec3f8-2cc3-11db-9845-0000779e2340.html?ft_site=falcon&desktop=true#axzz4lXHWafTm.
- Calmes, Jackie. 2015. Trans-Pacific Partnership Text Released, Waving Green Flag for Debate. The New York Times, November 5.Google Scholar
- Chan, Steve. 2008. China, the U.S., and the Power-Transition Theory. London and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Clinton, Hillary. 2011. America’s Pacific Century. Foreign Policy 189 (1): 56–63.Google Scholar
- Ebert, Hannes, and Daniel Flemes, eds. 2018. Regional Powers and Contested Leadership. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Farnham, Barbara. 1994. ed. Avoiding Losses/Taking risks: Prospect theory and International Conflict. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.Google Scholar
- Feng, Huiyun. 2015. The New Geostrategic Game: Will China and Russia Form an Alliance Against the United States? Policy Report No 7. Copenhagen: Danish Institute for International Studies.Google Scholar
- Ford, Peter. 2015. A Newly Modest China? Official’s Reassurances Raise Eyebrows in US. The Christian Science Monitor, January 7. Accessed October 31, 2017. http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2015/0107/A-newly-modest-China-Official-s-reassurances-raise-eyebrows-in-US.
- ———. 2009. Institutional Balancing in the Asia-Pacific: Economic Interdependence and China’s Rise. London and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Ikenberry, G. John. 2001. After Victory: Institutions, Strategic Restraint, and the Rebuilding of Order After Major War. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2008. The Rise of China and the Future of the West: Can the Liberal System Survive? Foreign Affairs 87 (1): 23–35.Google Scholar
- ———. 2011. Liberal Leviathan: The Origins, Crisis, and Transformation of the American World Order. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Johnston, A. Iain. 2008. Social States: China in International Institutions 1980–2000. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Kurlantzick, Joshua. 2008. Charm Offensive: How China’s Soft Power Is Transforming the World. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Layne, Christopher. 2006. The Peace of Illusions: American Grand Strategy from 1940 to the Present. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Levy, Jack S. 1995. Prospect Theory and International Relations: Theoretical Applications and Analytical Problems. In Avoiding Losses/Taking Risks: Prospect Theory and International Conflict, ed. Barbara Farnham, 119–146. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.Google Scholar
- Lieberthal, Kenneth, and Jisi Wang. 2012. Addressing Sino-US Strategic Distrust. In The John L. Thornton China Center Monograph Series, vol. 4. Washington, DC: Brookings.Google Scholar
- Manyin, Mark E., Stephen Daggett, Ben Dolven, Susan V. Lawrence, Michael F. Martin, Ronald O’Rourke, and Bruce Vaughn. 2012. Pivot to the Pacific? The Obama Administration’s “Rebalancing” Toward Asia. Washington, DC: Congressional Research Service.Google Scholar
- Mearsheimer, John. 2001. The Tragedy of Great Power Politics. New York: Norton.Google Scholar
- Monaghan, Angela. 2014. China Surpasses US as World’s Largest Trading Nation. The Guardian, January 10. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/10/china-surpasses-us-world-largest-trading-nation.
- Obama, Barack. 2011. Remarks by President Obama to the Australian Parliament. Speech Delivered at the Parliament House, Canberra, Australia, November 17. http://www.smh.com.au/national/text-of-obamas-speech-to-parliament-20111117-1nkcw.html.
- Office of the Spokesperson. 2011. Signing of the Manila Declaration on Board the USS Fitzgerald in Manila Bay, Manila, Philippines. U.S. Department of State, November 16, 2011, Washington, DC. Accessed October 31, 2017. https://2009-2017.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2011/11/177226.htm.
- Organski, A.F.K. 1958. World Politics. New York: Knopf.Google Scholar
- Organski, A.F.K., and Jack Kugler. 1980. The War Ledger. Chicago: Chicago University Press.Google Scholar
- Perlez, Jane. 2012. Panetta Outlines New Weaponry for Pacific. The New York Times, June 1.Google Scholar
- ———. 2015. U.S. Allies See Trans-Pacific Partnership as a Check on China. The New York Times, October 6.Google Scholar
- Qian, Qichen. 2006. Ten Episodes in China’s Diplomacy. New York: Harper Collins.Google Scholar
- Shen, Qing. 2014. APEC Roadmap on FTAAP a Historic Decision: Xi. Xinhua, November 11. Accessed October 31, 2017. http://www.ecns.cn/2014/11-11/142197.shtml.
- Taylor, Adam, and Laris Karklis. 2016. This Remarkable Chart Shows How U.S. Defense Spending Dwarfs the Rest of the World. The Washington Post, February 9.Google Scholar
- Waltz, Kenneth. 1979. Theory of International Politics. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Xi, Jinping. 2014. New Asian Security Concept for New Progress in Security Cooperation. Remarks at the Fourth Summit of the Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia, May 21. Accessed October 31, 2017. http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/zxxx_662805/t1159951.shtml.