Application of Fuzzy Analytical Network Process Model for Analyzing the Gully Erosion Susceptibility
Soil erosion is one of the most important processes in land degradation especially in semi-arid areas such as Iran. Awareness from susceptible areas to erosion is essential for decreasing the damages and restoration of the eroded areas and achieving the sustainable development goals. Thus, the main purposes of this study are prioritizing the effective variables in engender and extend of gully erosion and predicting the gully erosion susceptibility map in the Kashkan-Poldokhtar Basin, Iran. In order to achieve this purpose, the fuzzy analytical network process (Fuzzy ANP) was applied by means of considering the interrelationship network within the effective criteria on the gully erosion. The assessing step were conducted by the fuzzy approach in associate with the expert’s opinions for determining the susceptible areas to gully erosion. Eventually, gully erosion susceptibility map was produced based on Fuzzy ANP weights and GIS aggregation functions. Results were validated by applying the known gullies collected in field surveys by GPS. The ROC curve was applied to investigate the susceptibility model’s performance. Results of the Fuzzy-ANP was revealed that drainage density, soil texture, and lithology are most important factors for gully erosion. In addition, results delivered the accuracy of 90.4% for the study area which is very acceptable. This research highlights that Fuzzy ANP as an efficient approach for producing the susceptibility map of gully erosion, especially in an environment with incomplete datasets.
KeywordsGully erosion Susceptibility Fuzzy ANP GIS Iran
We thank the Editors, Dr. Pourghasemi and Dr. Rossi, and two anonymous reviewers for their suggestions and comments.
- Gholipour R, Jandaghi G, Rajaei R (2014) Contractor selection in MCDM context using fuzzy AHP. Iranian J Manag Stud 7(1):151–173Google Scholar
- Pourghasemi HR, Kerle N (2016) Random forests and evidential belief function-based landslide susceptibility assessment in Western Mazandaran Province, Iran. Environ Earth Sci. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-0154950-1
- Saaty RW (2003) Decision making in complex environment: the analytic hierarchy process (AHP) for decision making and the analytic network process (ANP) for decision making with dependence and feedback. Super Decisions, PittsburghGoogle Scholar
- Saaty TL (1996) Decision making with dependence and feedback: the analytic network process, vol 4922. RWS publications, PittsburghGoogle Scholar
- Serpa D, Nunes JP, Santos J, Sampaio E, Jacinto R, Veiga S, Lima JC, Moreira M, Corte-Real J, Keizer JJ, Abrantes N (2015) Impacts of climate and land use changes on the hydrological and erosion processes of two contrasting Mediterranean catchments. Science of the Total Environmental 538:64–77CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yesilnacar EK (2005) The application of computational intelligence to landslide susceptibility mapping in Turkey. Ph.D Thesis Department of Geomatics the University of Melbourne, p 423Google Scholar