The Narrative Nightclub
This chapter brings together expertise in film and cultural studies to analyse representations of nightclub dancefloors in British cinema. Our focus is on club culture films: Human Traffic (Justin Kerrigan, 1999), Sorted (Alexander Jovy, 2000), Soul Boy (Shimmy Marcus, 2010), Everywhere and Nowhere (Menhaj Huda, 2011), Northern Soul (Elaine Constantine, 2014) and Eden (Mia Hansen-Løve, 2015), a contrasting example from France. We propose that British film tends to use the dancefloor as a narrative device that occludes or disturbs notions of youth culture, turning it into a problem to be solved. We perform our analysis by linking academic writing on dance music and nightclub cultures with textual interpretation of the films. In doing so the chapter captures a sense of the wider discourse surrounding nightclubs and especially the dancefloors that often form their focus, on- and off-screen.
- Anon. 2016. “About Ourscreen” available online: https://www.ourscreen.com/about-ourscreen/ [Last accessed: 13/12/16].
- Anon. 2015. “Keep the faith: Elaine Constantine on filming the Northern Soul story,” available online: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2jrXD9q1bpKVP19TwdcCBFt/keep-the-faith-elaine-constantine-on-filming-the-northern-soul-story [Last accessed: 13/12/16].
- Beeler, Stan. 2007. Dance, Drugs and Escape: The Club Scene in Literature, Film and Television Since the Late 1980s. Jefferson: McFarland.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, Pierre. 1984. Distinction. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Chatterton, Paul and Hollands, Robert. 2003. Urban Nightscapes: Youth Cultures, Pleasure Spaces and Corporate Power. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Cohen, Phil. 1997. Rethinking the Youth Question: Education, Labour and Cultural Studies. Basingstoke: Palgrave.Google Scholar
- Ehrlich, David. 2015. “Interview: Mia Hansen-Løve Talks ‘Eden,’ Daft Punk, French Disco & Her Next Film ‘The Future’,” Available online: http://www.indiewire.com/2015/06/interview-mia-hansen-love-talks-eden-daft-punk-french-disco-her-next-film-the-future-262813/ [Last accessed: 13/12/16].
- Hebdige, Dick. 1979. Subculture: The Meaning of Style. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Hill, John. 1986. Sex, Class and Realism. London: BFI.Google Scholar
- Hodkinson, Paul. 2016. ‘Youth cultures and the rest of life: subcultures, post-subcultures and beyond’ in Journal of Youth Studies 19 (5), pp. 629–645.Google Scholar
- MacInnes, Paul. 2015. “Eden: ‘There was no film that took club culture seriously,” Available online: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jul/21/mia-hansen-love-eden [Last accessed: 13/12/16].
- Mertens, Max. 2015. “Interview: Eden Director Mia Hansen-Løve.” Available online: http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2015/06/mia-hansen-love-interview [Last accessed: 13/12/16].
- Miles, Stephen. 2000. Youth Lifestyles in a Changing World. Maidenhead: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Montgomery, Hugh. 2015. “Why the Daft Punk-featuring EDEN is the dance music film fans have been waiting for.” Available online: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/why-the-daft-punk-featuring-eden-is-the-dance-music-film-fans-have-been-waiting-for-10396530.html [Last accessed: 13/12/16].
- Morrison, Simon A. 2014. ‘“Surely people who go clubbing don’t read”: Dispatches from the dancefloor and clubland in print’ in IASPM Journal 4(2). Available online: http://www.iaspmjournal.net/index.php/IASPM_Journal/article/view/735 [Last accessed: 3/12/16].
- Muggleton, David. 2000. Inside subculture: The postmodern meaning of style. Oxford: Berg.Google Scholar
- Redhead, Steve. (ed.) 1993. Rave Off!: Politics and Deviance in Contemporary Youth Culture. Farnham: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Rinke, Andrea. 2015. “‘The weekend has landed!’ Carnivalesque youth rebellion in the Ecstasy film Human Traffic (Justin Kerrigan 1999 UK)” in Studies in European Cinema, 12:1, pp. 35–45.Google Scholar
- Romney, Jonathan. 2015. “Film of the Week: Eden.” Available online: http://www.filmcomment.com/blog/mia-hansen-love-eden-review/ [Last accessed: 13/12/16].
- Scullard, Vickie. 2014. “Director Elaine Constantine brings Northern Soul to Bury.” Available online: http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/leisure/the_big_interview/11530979.Director_Elaine_Constantine_brings_Northern_Soul_to_Bury/ [Last accessed: 13/12/16].
- Shildrick, Tracy A. and MacDonald, Robert. 2007. “Street Corner Society: Leisure Careers, Youth (Sub)Culture and Social Exclusion” in Leisure Studies 26 (3), p. 399–355.Google Scholar
- Thornton, Sarah. 1995. Club Cultures: Music, Media and Subcultural Capital. London: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Vishnevetsky, Ignatiy. 2015. “Mia Hansen-Løve on trying to make the Heaven’s Gate of house music.” Available online: http://www.avclub.com/article/mia-hansen-love-trying-make-heavens-gate-house-mus-220876 [Last accessed: 13/12/16].
- Weiner, Nathaniel. 2015. “Resistance through realism: Youth subculture films in 1970s (and 1980s) Britain” in European Journal of Cultural Studies. Available online: http://ecs.sagepub.com/content/early/2015/11/06/1367549415603376 [Last accessed: 3/12/16].