Life Course: Developmental and Transitional Events
Older adults often face many complex life transitions, such as retirement, bereavement, and relocation. Though each older adult may cope with these transitions uniquely, such life transitions can often be disruptive and serve as psychosocial stressors. In this section, we will review the literature regarding retirement and its relationship to physical and mental health. We will also review the various courses of bereavement, as well as management of grief-related disorders.
KeywordsLife course Development Transition Bereavement Grief Retirement
I have no financial interests/arrangements to disclose that could be perceived as a real or apparent conflict of interest.
- 1.Schumacher KL, Jones PS, Meleis AI. Helping elderly persons in transition: a framework for research and practice. In: Swanson A, Tripp-Reimer T, editors. Life transitions in the older adult: issues for nurses and other health professionals. New York: Springer; 1999. p. 1–26.Google Scholar
- 3.Feldman DC. The decision to retire early: a review and conceptualization. Academy of 6. Manag Rev. 1994;19:285–311.Google Scholar
- 4.Ritzer, George (ed). Blackwell encyclopedia of sociology. New Jersey: Blackwell Publishing. 2007. http://www.blackwellreference.com/public/book.html?id=g9781405124331_9781405124331. Accessed 20 Mar 2016.
- 5.Wang M, Shultz KS. Employee retirement: a review and recommendations for future investigation. J Manag. 2010;36(1):172–206.Google Scholar
- 9.West LA, Cole S, Goodkind D, He W. 65+ in the United States: 2010. In: U.S. Census Bureau, editor. Special studies: current population reports. U.S. government printing office. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office; 2014. p. 23–212.Google Scholar
- 32.Federal Interagency Forum on Aging-Related Statistics. Older Americans 2012: key indicators of well-being. Federal Interagency Forum on aging-related statistics. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office; 2012.Google Scholar
- 33.Freud S. Mourning and melancholia. In: The standard edition of the complete psychological works of Sigmund Freud, volume XIV (1914–1916): on the history of the psycho-analytic movement, papers on metapsychology and other works. London: The Hogarth Press and the Institute of Psycho-Analysis; 1917. p. 237–58.Google Scholar
- 35.American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders: DSM-5. Washington, D.C: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2015.Google Scholar
- 49.Reynolds CF 3rd, Miller MD, Pasternak RE, Frank E, Perel JM, Cornes C, et al. Treatment of bereavement-related major depressive episodes in later life: a controlled study of acute and continuation treatment with nortriptyline and interpersonal therapy. Am J Psychiatr. 1999;156:202–8.PubMedGoogle Scholar