Petersen Graph is Uniformly Most-Reliable
A celebrated problem in network optimization is the all-terminal reliability maximization. We want to communicate a fixed number n of terminals, but we have a fixed budget constraint m. The goal is to build m links such that the all-terminal reliability is maximized in the resulting graph. In such case, the result is a uniformly most-reliable graph. The discovery of these graphs is a challenging problem that launched an interplay between extremal graph theory and computational optimization.
In this paper, we mathematically prove that Petersen graph is uniformly most-reliable. The paper is closed with a conjecture on the existence of other uniformly most-reliable graphs.
KeywordsNetwork reliability analysis Uniformly most-reliable graphs Petersen graph
This work is partially supported by Project 395 CSIC I+D Sistemas Binarios Estocásticos Dinámicos. We wish to thank Dr. Louis Petingi for his valuable comments on t-optimality throughout the writing of this manuscript.
- 3.Beineke, L.W., Wilson, R.J., Oellermann, O.R.: Topics in Structural Graph Theory. Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Canale, E., Piccini, J., Robledo, F., Romero, P.: Diameter-constrained reliability: complexity, factorization and exact computation in weak graphs. In: Proceedings of the Latin America Networking Conference on LANC 2014, pp. 1–7. ACM, New York (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Colbourn, C.J.: Reliability issues in telecommunications network planning. In: Telecommunications Network Planning, chap. 9, pp. 135–146. Kluwer Academic Publishers (1999)Google Scholar
- 15.Knuth, D.E.: The Art of Computer Programming: Introduction to Combinatiorial Algorithms and Boolean Functions. Addison-Wesley Series in Computer Science and Information Proceedings. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Leggett, J.D., Bedrosian, S.D.: On networks with the maximum numbers of trees. In: Proceedings of Eighth Midwest Symposium on Circuit Theory, pp. 1–8, June 1965Google Scholar
- 20.Romero, P.: Building uniformly most-reliable networks by iterative augmentation. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on Resilient Networks Design and Modeling (RNDM 2017), Alghero, Sardinia, Italy, September 2017 (to appear)Google Scholar