Payment for Healthcare Transition Services
Payment barriers represent a significant roadblock to the provision of recommended healthcare transition services. This chapter identifies commonly reported transition payment barriers and offers transition coding options for use in pediatric and adult primary and specialty care practice settings. It also reviews strategies to maximize the potential for payment for transition services with commercial and Medicaid payers. A range of alternative payment methods are presented for consideration as part of payment reform initiatives.
KeywordsTransition to adult care Payment Coding Adolescents Young adults Chronic conditions
- 1.Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Readmissions reduction program (HRRP). 2017. https://www.cms.gov/medicare/medicare-fee-for-service-payment/acuteinpatientpps/readmissions-reduction-program.html. Accessed 29 June 2017.
- 2.Medicare Learning Network. Transitional care management services. 2017. https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/downloads/Transitional-Care-Management-Services-Fact-Sheet-ICN908628.pdf. Accessed 29 June 2017.
- 3.National Transitions of Care Coalition. Improved transitions of patient care yield tangible savings. 2017. www.ntocc.org/Portals/0/PDF/Resources/TangibleSavings.pdf. Accessed 29 June 2017.
- 5.American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians, American College of Physicians, Transitions Clinical Report Authoring Group, Cooley WC, Sagerman PJ. Supporting the health care transition from adolescence to adulthood in the medical home. Pediatrics. 2011;128:182–200.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Sebastian S, Jenkins H, McCartney S, Ahmad T, Arnott I, Croft N, et al. The requirements and barriers to successful transition of adolescents with inflammatory bowel disease: differing perceptions from a survey of adult and paediatric gastroenterologists. J Crohns Colitis. 2012;6:830–44.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.McManus M, White P, Harwood C, Molteni R, Kanter D, Salus T. Coding and reimbursement tip sheet for transition from pediatric to adult health care. 2017. www.gottransition.org/resourceGet.cfm?id=352. Accessed 29 June 2017.
- 13.Burton R. Health policy brief: improving care transitions. Health Aff. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1377/hpb20120913.327236.
- 14.Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Physician fee schedule overview. 2017. https://www.cms.gov/apps/physician-fee-schedule/overview.aspx. Accessed 29 June 2017.