Noise Generation and Noise Propagation
Wind turbines produce noise when operated (Wagner et al. in Wind turbine noise. Springer Science & Business Media, pp. 204, 1996; Tian et al. in Wind turbine noise modelling based on Amiet’s theory. Denver, CO, United States, 2013) which can be annoying and may cause adverse health effects (Harrison in Wind turbine noise. Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society, pp. 256–261, 2011). Noise with a frequency below the usual human hearing perception limit of 20 Hz is called infrasound. This chapter will not deal with noise generation and health issues but mainly wants to address the meteorological aspects of noise propagation which heavily depends on meteorological conditions.
- Barlas, E., Zhu, W. J., Shen, W. Z., Andersen, S. J.: Wind turbine noise propagation modelling: an unsteady approach. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 753, No. 2, p. 022003 (2016).Google Scholar
- Barlas, E., Zhu, W. J., Shen, W. Z., Kelly, M., Andersen, S. J.: Effects of wind turbine wake on atmospheric sound propagation. Applied Acoustics, 122, 51–61 (2017).Google Scholar
- Bradley, S., M. Kerscher, T. Mikkelsen: Use of the Acoustic Camera to accurately localise wind turbine noise sources and determine their Doppler shift. 7th International Conference on Wind Turbine Noise Rotterdam, 2nd to 5th May 2017 (2017).Google Scholar
- ECMA 108:1996-12 Measurement of High-frequency Noise emitted by Information Technology and Telecommunications Equipment. http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/Ecma-108.pdf (1996).
- Embleton, T. F.: Tutorial on sound propagation outdoors. J. Acoust. Soc. Amer., 100, 31–48 (1996).Google Scholar
- Harris, C.M.: Absorption of sound in air versus humidity and temperature. J. Acoustic Soc. Amer., 40, 148–159 (1966).Google Scholar
- Harrison, J.P.: Wind turbine noise. Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society, 31, 256–261. (2011).Google Scholar
- Heimann D., M. de Franceschi, S. Emeis, P. Lercher, P. Seibert (Eds.): Air Pollution, Traffic Noise and Related Health Effects in the Alpine Space—A Guide for Authorities and Consulters. ALPNAP comprehensive report. Università degli Studi di Trento, Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile e Ambientale, Trento, Italy, 335 pp. ISBN printed version: 978-88-8443-208-7, ISBN electronic version: 978-88-8443-207-0 (2007).Google Scholar
- Heimann, D.; Käsler, Y.; Gross, G.: The wake of a wind turbine and its influence on sound propagation. Meteorologische Zeitschrift. 20, 449–460 (2011).Google Scholar
- ISO 9613-1:1993-06 Acoustics; attenuation of sound during propagation outdoors; Part 1: calculation of the absorption of sound by the atmosphere. Genf: ISO, confirmed 2015. (1993).Google Scholar
- ISO 9613-2:1996-12 Acoustics; attenuation of sound during propagation outdoors; Part 2: general method of calculation. Genf: ISO, confirmed 2017. (1996).Google Scholar
- Öhlund, O., Larsson, C.: Meteorological effects on wind turbine sound propagation. Appl. Acoust., 89, 34–41 (2015).Google Scholar
- Oerlemans, S., P. Sijtsmaa, B. Méndez López: Location and quantification of noise sources on a wind turbine. J. Sound Vibration, 299, 869–883 (2007).Google Scholar
- Rogers, A.L., J.F. Manwell, S. Wright: Wind turbine acoustic noise. A white paper Prepared by the Renewable Energy Research Laboratory Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering University of Massachusetts at Amherst. Available from: http://www.theproblemwithwindpower.com/info/Wind_Turbine_Acoustic_Noise_Rev2006.pdf (read 8 March 2017).
- Sedaghatizadeh, N., M. Arjomandi, B. Cazzolato, R. Kelso: Wind farm noises: Mechanisms and evidence for their dependency on wind direction. Renew. Energy, 109, 311–322 (2017).Google Scholar
- Tian, Y., B. Cotté, A. Chaigne: Wind Turbine Noise Modelling Based on Amiet’s Theory. 5th International Meeting on Wind Turbine Noise, Aug 2013, Denver, CO, United States. CD-ROM proceedings (2013).Google Scholar
- Wind Turbine Noise Modelling Based on Amiet’s Theory. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/280046933_Wind_Turbine_Noise_Modelling_Based_on_Amiet%27s_Theory [accessed Aug 18, 2017].
- Wagner, S., R. Bareiss, G. Guidati: Wind turbine noise. Springer Science & Business Media, 204 pp. (1996).Google Scholar
- West, M., Gilbert, K., Sack, R. A.: A tutorial on the parabolic equation (PE) model used for long range sound propagation in the atmosphere. Applied Acoustics, 37, 31–49 (1992).Google Scholar
- Ziemann, A., K. Balogh, K. Arnold: Modelling and measuring the atmospheric excess attenuation over flat terrain during night time conditions. Meteorol. Z., 16, 429–441 (2007).Google Scholar
- Ziemann, A., A. Schady, D. Heimann: Meteorological effects on the 3D sound propagation inside an inhomogeneous forest area. Meteorol. Z., 25, 327–339 (2016).Google Scholar