Improvement of Hedging Effect Based on the Average Hedging Ratio
This paper is aimed at exploring the improvement of hedging effect based on the theory of portfolio hedging, with multiple groups of CSI300 stock index futures and spot sample data as the analysis object. The minimum variance method is employed to estimate the optimal hedging ratio under the OLS and GARCH hedging models and calculate the average of the hedge ratios. By comparing the hedging effects of the constructed portfolio outside of samples based on different hedging ratios, the empirical analysis displays that the hedging effect of the average hedge ratio was superior to the hedging effect of the estimated hedge ratio of most individual historical samples. Therefore, the methodology supposed is deeply improved by considering the average value of the hedging ratio in order to optimize the optimal hedging ratio.
KeywordsThe average hedging ratios Hedging effect Minimum variance method OLS GARCH model
This work was supported by Social Science Research Foundation of Ministry of Education of China (15YJA790051), National Social Science Fund Project of China (17BGL058) and Shandong Province Natural Science Foundation (ZR2016GM20).
- 5.Wu, X.-z. (2008). The optimal hedging ratio of index futures: An empirical study based on CSI300 futures. Journal of Shanghai Lixin University of Commerce, 22(04), 78–84.Google Scholar
- 6.Ping, Z., Han, D.-p., & Mei-jia, G. U. O. (2014). Estimation of dynamic hedging rate of grain futures based on GARCH model. Statistics and Decision, 30(02), 149–152.Google Scholar
- 9.Xie, J.-q., & Zhao-jun, Y. A. N. G. (2005). An empirical analysis on EMT of stock market based on GARCH model. Statistics & Information Forum, 20(03), 57–60.Google Scholar
- 12.Kao, W.-S., Lin, C.-H., Changchien, C.-C., & Chien-Hui, W. (2016). Return distribution, leverage effect and spot-futures spread on the hedging effectiveness. Finance Research Letters, 22(08), 158–162.Google Scholar
- 14.Hong-feng, P., & Yong-gang, Y. (2007). The evaluation and comparison research of dynamic optimal hedging ratios based on modified ECM-GARCH. Chinese Journal of Management Science, 24(05), 29–35.Google Scholar
- 15.Zhen-nan, Z. (2016). Be based on GARCHS tudy on the performance of model futures hedging of agricultural products. West Forum on Economy and Management, 27(04), 43–58.Google Scholar
- 16.Shen, C.-h., & Wang, X.-r. (2015). Nonlinear analysis on the pattern structures of connection between financial markets. Journal of Management Sciences, 18(2), 66–75.Google Scholar