The Impact of Colonization and Christianization on Gender Violence in the Pacific Islands
In this chapter, anthropologist Jean Louis Rallu explores the traditional, precolonial relations between women and men in Melanesia, tracing the changes to sexual and social mores that took place within Melanesian societies under Christianization and colonization. In the second part of the chapter, he considers some of the recent challenges faced by non-governmental and intergovernmental International Organizations in the Pacific Islands in their attempts to confront gender inequality and gender violence in this region. Evaluating the multiple effects of tradition, Christianization, and colonization on gender relationships and gender violence, he inquires how this has impacted later dialogue and cooperation between International Organizations and Pacific Island communities.
- Abong, Marcellin. 2013. Metamorphoses of Nagriamel, in Tabani and Ambong. In Kago, Kustom and Kalja: The Study of Indigenous Movements in Melanesia Today, ed. Marc Tabani and Marcellin Abong, 59–84. Marseille: Cahiers du Credo.Google Scholar
- Caillard, Edmond. 2016. Les souvenirs du colon aux Nouvelles-Hébrides (Vanuatu), 1903–1913: Une jeunesse aux colonies d’antan. Sous la direction de J.-C. Roux and M. Shekleton. Paris: L’Harmattan.Google Scholar
- Codrington, R.H. 1891. The Melanesians, Studies in Their Anthropology and Folklore. Oxford: Clarendon Press.Google Scholar
- Fijian Government. 2015. Hon. PM Painimarama Speech at the Opening of Pacific Women Parliamentary Partnership Forum. 29 April. http://www.fiji.gov.fj/Media-Center/Speeches/HON-PM-BAINIMARAMA-SPEECH-ATTHE- OPENING-OF-PACIFI.aspx. Accessed 20 January 2018.
- Forster, Christine. 2011. Ending Domestic Violence in Pacific Island Countries: The Critical Role of Law. Asia-Pacific Law and Policy Journal 12 (2): 123–144.Google Scholar
- Great Britain Colonial Office. 1948. Annual Report on New-Hebrides, Anglo-French Condominium. Vanuatu: H. M. Stationery Office.Google Scholar
- Hempenstall, Peter, and Noel Rutherford. 1984. Protest and Dissent in the Colonial Pacific. Apia: Institute of Pacific Studies of the University of the South Pacific.Google Scholar
- Layard, John. 1942. Stone Men of Malekula: Vao. London: Chatto and Windus.Google Scholar
- McDougall, Debra. 2016. Engaging with Strangers: Love and Violence in the Rural Solomon Islands. New York: Berghahn.Google Scholar
- Miller, John Graham. 1989. Live: A History of Church Planting in the Republic of Vanuatu, 1881–1948. Lawson: Presbyterian Mission of Australia.Google Scholar
- ———. 1990. Les Populations Océaniennes aux 19ème et 20ème siècles. Paris: INED.Google Scholar
- ———, ed. 2018. Raghragh, Charley: Gooday Master Delegation Condominium, textes présentés, traduits et commentés par J. L. Rallu. Paris: Société des Océanistes.Google Scholar
- Thompson, Roger C. 1981. Natives and Settlers on the New Hebrides Frontier 1870–1900. Pacific Studies 5 (1): 1–18.Google Scholar
- UN Women. 2013a. Annual Report. http://asiapacific.unwomen.org/en/digital-library/publications/2014/4/fiji-annual-report-2013. Accessed 11 August 2017.
- ———. 2013b. The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women, CEDAW Pacific. Frequently Asked Questions. http://pacificwomen.org/resources/cedaw-pacific-frequently-asked-questions/. Accessed 11 August 2017.
- ———. 2014a. Advancing Gender Justice in the Pacific. http://www2.unwomen.org/-/media/field-office-eseasia/docs/publications/2014/6/agjp_brief_june-2014.ashx?la=en. Accessed 11 August 2017.
- ———. 2014b. Annual Report. http://asiapacific.unwomen.org/en/digital-library/publications/2015/06/fiji-multi-country-office-annual-report-for-2014. Accessed 11 August 2017.
- UNIFEM. 2010. Ending Violence Against Women and Girls. Suva: UNIFEM Pacific Regional Office. https://www.unicef.org/pacificislands/evaw.pdf. Accessed 11 August 2017.