Think Tanks and Emerging Power Networks
Think tanks are research, analysis, and engagement institutions that generate policy advice on domestic and international issues, enabling policymakers to make informed decisions and bridging the gap between the government and the public at large. In simpler terms, think tanks serve as “go-to” institutions when experts on particular topics are needed to provide analysis or commentary on the breaking news of the day. These organizations are classified in one of the following categories: for profit, autonomous and independent, quasi-independent, university affiliated, political party affiliated, quasi-governmental, or governmental. These categories helpfully expand the definition of think tanks to overcome the presuppositions of a Western, Anglophone perspective—as think tanks become increasingly prominent around the world, so too does their definition necessarily expand beyond its original boundaries.
KeywordsThink tanks Public policy research organizations Policy advice Global research Foreign policy
- Gordon, Sandy. 2014. India’s Rise as an Asian Power, Nation, Neighborhood, and Region. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.Google Scholar
- Johnson, Lyndon B. 1966. XXXVI President of the United States: 1963–1969, Remarks on the Occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the Brookings Institution, September 29. http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=27896.
- Montville, Joseph V. 1991. The Arrow and the Olive Branch: A Case for Track Two Diplomacy. In The Psychodynamics of International Relations, ed. V.D. Volkan, J. Montville, and D.A. Julius, vol. 2. Lexington: Lexington Books.Google Scholar
- National Institution for Transforming India, Government of India, Overview, http://niti.gov.in/content/overview.
- Selee, Andrew. 2013. What Should Think Tanks Do? A Strategic Guide to Policy Impact. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Xinhuanet. Xi Calls for New Type of Think Tanks. Chinese President Xi Jinping Called for a New Type of Think Tank Catered for China as the Country Looks to Modernize Its Governance. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2014-10/27/c_133746282.htm.