How a Bachelor in Leadership Would Fill a Gap
This chapter argues that a bachelor in leadership could fill a gap in the Danish education system. While education in Denmark, in general, is state-provided, leadership education is mostly offered at the master’s level. A more flexible undergraduate education is needed to integrate academic knowledge more fully with practice and experience. As vocationally skilled workers make up a significant proportion of the Danish workforce, we argue that formalized leadership education is needed in a form that is easily put into practice and that, at the same time, provides academically sound knowledge without creating an educational gap between those leading and those being led. A viable solution to this is to bridge the existing educational and/or vocational leadership void with a professional bachelor in leadership.
KeywordsLeadership education Formal education Educational system Vocationally skilled Denmark Bachelor in leadership Educational gap
- Dede, Chris. 2009. “Comparing Frameworks for 21st Century Skills.” In 21st Century Skills: Rethinking How Students Learn, edited by James Bellanca, and Ron Brandt, 51–76. Bloomington, In: Solution Tree Press.Google Scholar
- Käufer, Katrin, and Carl Otto Scharmer. 2007. “Universitetet som Udgangspunkt for det Iværksættende Menneske – Og som ‘Landingsbane’ for det Nyes Kommen-til-verden.” In Ideer om et Universitet, edited by Jens Erik Kristensen, 235–54. Århus: Århus Universitetsforlag.Google Scholar
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development. 2005. “The Definition and Selection of Key Competences: Executive Summary.” http://www.oecd.org/edu/skills-beyond-school/definitionandselectionofcompetenciesdeseco.htm. Accessed on 9 June 2017.
- Statistics Denmark. 2017a. “HFUDD10: Befolkningens Højeste Fuldførte Uddannelse (15-69 år) Efter Bopælsområde, Herkomst, Højeste Fuldførte Uddannelse, Alder og Køn.” Last modified September 8. http://www.statistikbanken.dk/statbank5a/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?MainTable=HFUDD10&PLanguage=0&PXSId=0&wsid=cftree. Accessed on 8 September 2017.
- Statistics Denmark. 2017b. “ HFUDD15: Befolkningens Højeste Fuldførte Uddannelse (15-69 år) Efter Bopælsområde, Højeste Fuldførte Uddannelse, Socioøkonomisk Status, Branche, Alder og Køn.” Last modified September 8. http://www.statistikbanken.dk/statbank5a/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?MainTable=HFUDD15&PLanguage=0&PXSId=0&wsid=cftree. Accessed on 8 September 2017.
- Stedman, Graham. 2015. “Preparing for the 21st Century: Soft Skills Matter.” Last modified April 26, 2015. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stedman-graham/preparing-for-the-21st-ce_b_6738538.html. Accessed on 9 June 2017.